Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a DD I have been running AMSoil 5w30 since the 700 mile mark with my car. Last year I also ran this at the track. I went to tech inspection last night and was talking with a few of the guys about oil, blown engines and the track. A family member of mine has a bugeye that popped 12k after his first build. This lead to talking about a few of the other local members that also blew their engines at the track last year. So we got on the subject of oil weight and what I should be running. I am 100% sure that I am no longer running 5w30 AMSoil at the track. I figured I would reach out to 3G and see what others are running on track days.

I am looking at possibly Rotella 10w40, but there is a TWS specifically made for BWM M motors that is a 15w60. I am friends with a few techs @ the local BWM and they swear by this oil.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Rotella is good...I'm running Amsoil AMO (10W40). Last year I was on the Amsoil AFL which is the 5W40 Euro. Most people just recommend a thicker weight than the 5W30 factory spec because of the harsher driving conditions and higher heat. If you really want to dig deeper, find an oil with lots of anti wear additives like zinc and moly and high shear resistance so it doesn't degrade into a lower weight quickly.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I am leaning towards the TWS M formula right now. I guess a heavier AMSoil wouldn't be a bad thing to run....

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amsoil and Torco
I am asking more weight than brand. I already have my brands locked down. AMSoil, Rotella or TWS.

I am leaning towards the 15w50... but the 10w40 Rotella is still an option.

·
Registered
902 Posts
you dont need a 10 or 15w. thats winter weight. most race cars use a 0w. find something at least a 40+ and run that year round. a 30 is to light for these cars.

like chongl said find something with lots of micro protectors. Redline is the highest ive seen for moly which is the best and the zinc and phosphous are really high too.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
What about motul

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
957 Posts
run the oil your motor is built to use. obviously what works for chongl will likely not work for you since he has a forged motor. bearing clearances are different than your factory spec engine. a quality 10w30 should be fine.

the rerason for thicker oil is because of the different thermal expansion properties between forged internals and hypercast internals (what comes from factory in turbocharged subaru engines). on a stock block please follow the service manual and get the correct weight oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts