Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perrin Sway bars (solid+Adjustable) : Front 25mm (available settings: soft med hard) Rear 22mm (available settings: soft hard).
Stock suspention
What do you guys thing is the best setting? Currently I have it set to medium in the rear and soft in the front. What would happen if i set front and rear to hard?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
i would set the front on soft or med and the back on hard to help w/ the inherent understeer. try it for a bit and adjust accordingly. :)

here's a good link for suspension tweaking...

http://www.clubsi.com/suspension_tweak_table.shtml

i wish i had bought the whiteline adjustable sways so i could dial in my handling. :'(

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Did you say that backwards?

The perrin front bar has two settings and the perrin rear bar has 3 settings?

I have the 22mm front and 19mm rear perrin bars....

I have the front on full stiff and the rear on medium and the car handles freakin awesome...it seems perfectly balanced...i'll find out for sure at the autocross in a few weeks.

·
Registered
954 Posts
wow a 25mm front and 22mm rear!!! how does the car handle with that?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
wow a 25mm front and 22mm rear!!! how does the car handle with that?
Pretty awesome. I have both on the stiffest setting. But they didn't have one for the STI so I am running the WRX 25mm and since its shorter, the overall stiffness is even higher. Super snappy.
In comparison a 25mm solid approx = 27mm hollow
22mm solid approx = 25mm hollow
Quick turn-in response from the front less roll on the turn-in.
Induced oversteer for the rear when off the throttle. Pretty neutral when on throttle with rear weight shift.
Overall greatly reduced body roll on mid to high speed corners. Need to compensate here with throttle control or the sways will either accenuate under or oversteer depending on how you are shifting the weight.
Low speed corners need to be off the gas until corner apex or massive understeer (conventional driving style), but you can go in hot as long as the weight is shifted to the front enough. This can be rectified with lateral weight shift, trail braking, or full throttle cornering. Depends on your style
S curves weight shifting is much more stable and predictable.
Just some input and hope it helps you a bit,

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I'd go with a soft setting. I mean sway bars are fun and all, but there's a point where they become a little bit ridiculous in terms of stiffness. I can't imagine for the life of me why anyone would want to go any thicker/stiffer than the rallitek or whiteline bars (f:22, r:19/20) as the roll resistance that those provide are on the stiff side for a street car imo.

Though the only way you'll really know what you like is to play with it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry guys, I dont know what good handling feels like, nor do I know what understeer/oversteer feels like. Truthfully I bought the sways to reduce body roll.

·
Registered
954 Posts
understeer is when you throw your car into a corner and it feels like its going towards the outside of the corner, not turning enough. oversteer is when you go into a corner and it dives in too much, sometimes it may feel like the back end is going to kick out and car will rotate. personally, i prefer a slight amount of oversteer

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
depends on the tires and how you are turning. for safety sake, i would do a lot of reading on the topic of sway bars and what they actually do before I made any adjustments (maybe even set both ends of the car to soft till you do this). roll resistance is only part of it. off throttle oversteer is fun and all, except that it usually happens when people panic and don't realize that it is largely a product of their sway bars, just as the honda guys.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
How fast do I need to be going to feel this?
Depends on the corner.
In response to a previous comment as to unneeded stiffness. It will be about your preference. I also track my car, hence the stiff setting and thick bars. The car regularly has to be adjusted for the mountain roads mainly in damper settings to reduce wheelhop and 2 wheeling. I found this to be easier than changing sway bar settings.

You are very correct that the bars reduce body roll but this in itself changes the dynamic handling of the vehicle which is what everyone is describing to you in terms of under and oversteer. i.e. stiffen the front = less body roll = understeer. stiffen the rear = less body roll but oversteer.

I prefer to go on the understeer side as my driving style prefers to be on the throttle early. It is all about your personal preference and drving style. I would just keep on driving and you will likely find your personal settings. Just let us know something like "hey even when I put the rear sway bar on the softest setting, the rear end is more tail happy than stock" which will likely initiate the respone "your bar is stiffer than stock so this is normal, try shifting more weight to the rear or go back to the original sway bar"

We will be glad to provide personal input and some starting points for you.

Have fun

·
Registered
298 Posts
go to an autox test and tune. try every combo, find out what you like and what gives the fastest times. that's the best way to find out :)

for general/typical swaybar behavior though.. if you stiffen the front or soften the rear, you'll get more understeer. if you soften the front or stiffen the rear, you'll get more oversteer. optimal track setting would be near balanced with a slight amount of understeer. for the street you'll want slightly more understeer. but adjust it to whatever you like.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Just don't be one of those "I luvz ovurst33r" guys. I hate those guys, usually because they have no idea what they are doing and often end up losing their rear ends during some accident avoidance type situation. There are some awesome youtube videos of those shananigans.

Also, the oversteer had by a larger sway is primarily going to be seen during off throttle situations. You'll still plow almost as hard as you do with the stock bars if you accelerate into the corner, most of the time anyway.

·
Registered
0 Posts
if i am looking for a slight understeer with a new sway set up for my 08 hatch with BC coilovers... what would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
if i am looking for a slight understeer with a new sway set up for my 08 hatch with BC coilovers... what would you guys recommend?
Have you dialed in the coilovers yet? If not, this is where I would start.
If you want to keep the feeling of the OEM understeer take a look at the bar information from the vendor you will be purchasing from. they should provide numbers relating to effective spring rates. If you keep the percentages as close as possible, then you will keep the OE characteristics. You have much more options due to the coilover adjustability also. Damper settings make a pretty big difference.

Good luck

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you want to keep the feeling of the OEM understeer take a look at the bar information from the vendor you will be purchasing from. they should provide numbers relating to effective spring rates. If you keep the percentages as close as possible, then you will keep the OE characteristics. You have much more options due to the coilover adjustability also. Damper settings make a pretty big difference.

Good luck
thanks alot bro.. looking at perrins ones.. since they are the biggest adjustable ones in the market.. any issues with the clearance from the height?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

Good luck
thanks alot bro.. looking at perrins ones.. since they are the biggest adjustable ones in the market.. any issues with the clearance from the height?
I'm not experiencing any :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts