Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I am not a stranger to custom car audio by any means, I have installed speakers, head units, amps, and subs before. However, I would just like some input and ideas from folks who have already messed with this car.

For now, we are keeping the stock head unit. Eventually I want to upgrade to a dvd/nav unit like an AVIC or something similar. MAYBE a carputer or CCD, but im not sure about that yet.

So, that being considered, I want to get more/better sound out of the stock head unit for now, for as little money as possible. I am a big fan of buying used gear, esp. if its temporary. I already have a small sub/amp combo that I am going to use, so the bass is pretty much covered... in fact, the bass is the least of my complaints about the stock stereo in the first place.

I have never tried to hook up amps to a factory stereo. I know about line level converters, and have heard a few things about products like the cleansweep, including what i have read in this thread: http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=2558.0

Since I do plan on upgrading the HU in the future, i dont really want to spend alot of money on something like a cleansweep or equivalent, but if I can find something to do that job for under $100 i might consider it. Can anyone recomend a good line level converter without going as crazy as a cleansweep? Also, what is the actual verdict on speaker size, mainly depth? Both front and rear doors are 6.5" correct? Do we need custom MDF rings to make aftermarket speakers fit?

Also, I have never purchased a 4ch amp and dont have a whole lot of experience... what is good to look for for cheap? This is pretty much a temporary system for like a year untill I can really go all out once i get settled on a good HU/brain for my system.

Ok, I think that about covers it... any input is welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
just plug a amp on your factory speaker and it will be a great improvement but only if you have already the premium system since the stock premium clarion speaker arent that bad but just suffer from a terrible amplification from the stock unit

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
saturn, if by skimmed you mean you didnt really pay attention to anything i said, then i guess your comment makes sense. I do not want the factory sub, at all. I have [own] a sub setup i am considering installing, and even if i dont do that, that has nothing to do with my main complaint.

Corteau, I do not have the premium, just the base stereo. I thought it didn't matter for the door speakers? And with the stock head unit, its not quite as simple as just plugging an amp in... hence all my questions...

no offense, but if you would like to be helpfull in this discussion, please read the thread, thank you!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey skaunit, if you are doing the doors, check this link out http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-audio/120919-added-steering-wheel-controls-tweeters-base-model-2008-subaru-impreza-wrx.html
The doors are already run for tweeters in our non-premium WRX. I bought the covers from the dealer today at $13 a piece, but the speakers do look a little tough to install. To answer your question though, I upgraded my headunit first, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to run stuff to the factory. Let us know what you decide on and how it sounds.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Alright so I am not a stranger to custom car audio by any means, I have installed speakers, head units, amps, and subs before. However, I would just like some input and ideas from folks who have already messed with this car.

For now, we are keeping the stock head unit. Eventually I want to upgrade to a dvd/nav unit like an AVIC or something similar. MAYBE a carputer or CCD, but im not sure about that yet.

So, that being considered, I want to get more/better sound out of the stock head unit for now, for as little money as possible. I am a big fan of buying used gear, esp. if its temporary. I already have a small sub/amp combo that I am going to use, so the bass is pretty much covered... in fact, the bass is the least of my complaints about the stock stereo in the first place.

I have never tried to hook up amps to a factory stereo. I know about line level converters, and have heard a few things about products like the cleansweep, including what i have read in this thread: http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=2558.0

Since I do plan on upgrading the HU in the future, i dont really want to spend alot of money on something like a cleansweep or equivalent, but if I can find something to do that job for under 0 i might consider it. Can anyone recomend a good line level converter without going as crazy as a cleansweep? Also, what is the actual verdict on speaker size, mainly depth? Both front and rear doors are 6.5" correct? Do we need custom MDF rings to make aftermarket speakers fit?

Also, I have never purchased a 4ch amp and dont have a whole lot of experience... what is good to look for for cheap? This is pretty much a temporary system for like a year untill I can really go all out once i get settled on a good HU/brain for my system.

Ok, I think that about covers it... any input is welcome and appreciated.
I'll be sure to update as soon as the system goes in. I had to hold off on the amp and buy another due to the size of the first being too large. I should have it insalled within a week or so. Hopefully the JL Clean Sweep will do what it says.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, I think we want more sound now without spending alot of money. So, I decided to start off with a 4ch amp that has high [speaker] level inputs, as well as a pre-amp output for my sub amp. I'm going to skip the cleansweep [or comparable product] for now, considering we ARE planning on upgrading the head unit later.

Bprofessional, thanks for that link, it will definately help if we decide to do components, thats for sure. Not sure about the steering wheel controlls, but its a possibility. bolsak3, I look forward to your update.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
well, I think we want more sound now without spending alot of money. So, I decided to start off with a 4ch amp that has high [speaker] level inputs, as well as a pre-amp output for my sub amp.
Way to go !

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if anyone can recommend any 4ch amps that fit the criteria, please let me know! thanks.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
pretty much all decent amp have high lever input

whats yout budget for that amp and i can give me some suggestions

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got my speaker level to rca converter at frys for $19.99.

I have all my speakers on a 2 channel amp, 2 speakers sharing one channel, then another more powerfull 2 channel for my 2 subs. The amp for the sub has a speaker level line in, but I have the other amp outputting to it.

I have no complaints with the $20 device.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
yea fry's, bestbuy, walmart (but id stay away from walmart) you can get the level converter. If i were you i would look into kicker amps. you cna get them pretty cheap for reerbs on ebay. i got my 750.1 for $110 shipped to my door. Plus kicker is a great company and stand behind there products.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead...how are you guys running the wiring from the stock speakers to the amp and the hu? I am thinking about running a leftover amp I have and possibly upgrading all the speakers at the same time but keeping the stock hu. I have no clue how to run the new wiring from hu to amp, unless you just cut and run the stock wiring to the amp and then hook the speakers into the amp then? A diagram would be great! This is the amp that I have http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Kenwood-920-Watt-Max-Power-2-Channel-Amplifier/2582313/product.html

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
You can run a wire from each speaker directly to the amp, but the easy way will be to run all your wire together from the amp to the H.U and plug on the existing wiring that run from there to the speaker... this way you dont have to removed the door panel and rewire everything

·
Registered
327 Posts
You can run a wire from each speaker directly to the amp, but the easy way will be to run all your wire together from the amp to the H.U and plug on the existing wiring that run from there to the speaker... this way you dont have to removed the door panel and rewire everything
Ok that is definetly the route I want to take. Now how do I get the sound from the hu to the amp? I guess I need to look at the inputs/outputs on the amp itself...Do I have to have an RCA Line output converter to have RCA's into the amp for the sound? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
327 Posts
And what all wiring will I need to run? I don't plan on running a subwoofer...I am thinking I need Power, ground, remote, and then some sort of wiring from hu to amp(either wires, RCA, etc?)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well, I have the JL clean sweep in and the MB Quart amp, with Rockford speakers installed.

It is an improvement. The stock stereo has such crappy sound recreation that it is hard to overcome without completely getting rid of the head unit. I'm content with my setup but I would not go so far as to say happy. It's louder and clearer but leaves high end crispness and accuracy behind.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
And what all wiring will I need to run? I don't plan on running a subwoofer...I am thinking I need Power, ground, remote, and then some sort of wiring from hu to amp(either wires, RCA, etc?)
depending on what you are going to do you will need to run amp power and ground, rewire the speakers to the amp, possibly upgrade the speakers (i would there whimpy), Install a line converter to chance the speaker wires from the head unit into a RCA for the amp. Tune it and blamo crank that soulja boy!

If you have any questions about doing any of that go to the do it yourself section and look for the how to on the sub install i wrote up, if you have further questions feel free to PM me with questions.

·
Registered
327 Posts
depending on what you are going to do you will need to run amp power and ground, rewire the speakers to the amp, possibly upgrade the speakers (i would there whimpy), Install a line converter to chance the speaker wires from the head unit into a RCA for the amp. Tune it and blamo crank that soulja boy!

If you have any questions about doing any of that go to the do it yourself section and look for the how to on the sub install i wrote up, if you have further questions feel free to PM me with questions.
Alright I think I figured it out...basically take the wiring off the hu for all the speakers and run that into a LOC and then the RCA's in the amp...then all the wiring from the speakers into the amp. Looks like it's easy enough(from your DIY) to take off the door panels so I'll probably toss some decent speakers in there while I'm at it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Another stupid question...where are all the speakers located in the premium WRX? I know there are more, I am wondering where they all are...I may end up fabbing some more into my base WRX.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts