Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
It is a smaller turbo then used before, which accounts for the fast spooling up. I am not sure the model, but it is a Mitsubishi turbo. The max boost I think is 14 PSI, cause the stock PSI is 11.9 and you normally add two on stock turbos to get the max.

·
Registered
382 Posts
You may want to delete your post and repost it in the Turbo forum...

Sorry I can't answer your question, I use to have that info but forget where I saw it.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Just got confirmation from Sean over at Rallitek.com that the car can run at 17psi with a stage 2 setup. Anything above then you will start having some problems, but he did say that they stock TMIC might have a little trouble keeping it cool.

·
Registered
752 Posts
i think the rev limiter is raised in stage 2 also.

to deal with heat soak, i would recomend getting a water/meth kit if you don't want to fork over the $1,000+ for a FMIC.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But do keep in mind that you do have to have at least a turboback exhaust system to run stage 2 at 17 PSI.
from my understanding you only need a downpipe. but to get the full potential you need the TBE.

i am also getting the FMIC with my tax return, jus waiting for all of that.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I heard you need at least 300 hp to make the FMIC worth it, other wise you'll get too much turbo lag.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
It really depends, in high heat areas or if you spend a lot of time in traffic then going with a FMIC, as long as the piping and intercooler are of appropriate size (not super large) then it really outweights the heat soak from the TMIC... I live in So Cal where the temps get well over 100F in the summer and there is a lot of traffic, having the TMIC is not as beneficial to me as it would be to someone who lives in Canada.

So, even if I am not pushing 300 hp, it would be good for me to go to a FMIC.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
It really depends, in high heat areas or if you spend a lot of time in traffic then going with a FMIC, as long as the piping and intercooler are of appropriate size (not super large) then it really outweights the heat soak from the TMIC... I live in So Cal where the temps get well over 100F in the summer and there is a lot of traffic, having the TMIC is not as beneficial to me as it would be to someone who lives in Canada.

So, even if I am not pushing 300 hp, it would be good for me to go to a FMIC.
Good point! Thanks for clearing that up coop.

·
Registered
752 Posts
there really isnt any lag with a FMIC. On stock boost levels i think you might notice it. But on more boost and a stage1 or 2 tune, you wont notice it. I eliminating the heat soak is worth every penny for the FMIC. On a cool night my intake temp at WOT was between 70-85F with the TMIC. A FMIC should bring that air temp down by like 30.

after a quick google search i came up with this...
decreasing the air intake temperature by 10 degrees F will increase horsepower and torque by 1%
add that to this...

UR CAI claims ~15hp
2psi more boost is ~10hp
Stage 1 w/93oct gives 9%hp 10%tq

i think this = ~245whp
now throw in a FMIC to get about 250whp and no worries of heat soak bringing your boost down to single digits as you get closer to redline.

idk if my numbers are correct, but on paper our stock turbo is looking pretty good.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Well, add the downpipe and stage 2 to the list and we should be sitting pretty. I am going to have do get me a FMIC, but I have to wait for a little while.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this is really off topic lol.

since it is already off topic i will add though.

i installed my Invidia 3" catless DP this weekend, and its a whole new car now ! i cannot believe how much a difference there is. I EXTREMELY RECOMMEND A DP EVEN IS YOU KEEP EVERYTHING ELSE STOCK !!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts