Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have on 08 WRX and love the car. Dont care what they did the the 09, still love my car. I am starting to think I would love to get a STi, but I would like to wait for the next change. I think they are going to do something to make the STi faster. Since so many people say the 09wrx is so close. Has anyone heard what they may do to the STi, if anything? I dont know where I read it but I read they are thinking about going diesel? That could be cool if they can still produce the power. So what has everyone else heard?

·
Registered
88 Posts
The STi still stands out because it's way advanced in technology compared to the '09. They are making a Spec C in Japan but who knows for the U.S.

As for diesel, I doubt that will come to any STi model for awhile. Reason being is that although diesel has come a long way, it's still hard to produce high horsepower with it (you see figures like 170 HP and 290 ft. lbs. torque) and you need that HP for a STi type car.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Maybe in 2010, though I doubt it'll be a mind blowing upgrade to the current STI. The 09 wrx vs STI arguments have been exaggerated beyond belief. The 09 WRX is fast, maybe too fast compared to the STI since it reduces the contrast between the two cars. Though, the STI's better points have always been in those areas that are harder to put down on paper. It's always been pretty easy to make a WRX run with a stock STI in a straight line.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree the STi is way better then the 09. That is why I am planning to save up, sell my 08wrx and get either a 08STi or maybe newer. Would kill for a GT-R but dont have any contracts right now.

·
Registered
467 Posts
i dont remember where i read it but i thought i heard the new STI, not the 09, is suppose to be putting out 350 to 400 horses. that would be sweet

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
i dont remember where i read it but i thought i heard the new STI, not the 09, is suppose to be putting out 350 to 400 horses. that would be sweet
330S and the 380S were supposed to be available to the UK only Prodrive modded. 330S has been tanked. Wonder whats gonna happen now that Subaru no longer in WRC and no more joint venture with Prodrive?

the 09 that C&D uses is maintained at Puente Hills Subaru and is still running strong they do a maintenence and however many point inspection for them after every test day.

·
Registered
925 Posts
A Subie Shop Tech at my dealer showed me a 2010 picture of a 2-DOOR Hatch for the new STI looks pretty sick. He also say that they are expecting a bump in HP maybe 320-350? not sure. I'll try to get him to email me that picture so that I can post it.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
A Subie Shop Tech at my dealer showed me a 2010 picture of a 2-DOOR Hatch for the new STI looks pretty sick. He also say that they are expecting a bump in HP maybe 320-350? not sure. I'll try to get him to email me that picture so that I can post it.
WOW very nice if its true

·
Registered
925 Posts

This is what that guy at the dealer told me it will look like.. truth or not I'm not sure but it would be interesting. Though I doubt it would be 2010 maybe 2011 or later than that. I wish the 2 door sedan style would come back like the 2.5 RS ... i like those.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Man if only that pic were real haha...

Yeah, speculation is all this thread can be for a while unfortunately...

I'm really curious what will really happen since Subie is out of the WRC and how the economy has been doing, in all honesty the STI might not be getting the bumps everyone's been hoping for...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
This is what that guy at the dealer told me it will look like.. truth or not I'm not sure but it would be interesting. Though I doubt it would be 2010 maybe 2011 or later than that. I wish the 2 door sedan style would come back like the 2.5 RS ... i like those.
He lied, or has no idea what he is talking about. That is an old photoshop and did NOT come from subaru in any way. It came from people wishing the new STI was 2-door, which it will never be, and came out around the time that the new toyobaru rwd coupe was announced iirc. Notice that there are no real new styling cues other than the chopped doors, and a few throwbacks to previous models. I have never known a car manufacturer to come up with a concept and not actually add any new styling cues to it, but only draw upon what they have already done.

As for what they will do, I don't expect much other than maybe an update to the front end and/or tail lights like they had done in previous years, if they change it at all in 2010 given the slight visual change already done to the 09's.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
He lied, or has no idea what he is talking about. That is an old photoshop and did NOT come from subaru in any way. It came from people wishing the new STI was 2-door, which it will never be, and came out around the time that the new toyobaru rwd coupe was announced iirc. Notice that there are no real new styling cues other than the chopped doors, and a few throwbacks to previous models. I have never known a car manufacturer to come up with a concept and not actually add any new styling cues to it, but only draw upon what they have already done.

As for what they will do, I don't expect much other than maybe an update to the front end and/or tail lights like they had done in previous years, if they change it at all in 2010 given the slight visual change already done to the 09's.
+1 here. This was being batted around at the same time the 'Tobaru' mock ups have been seen. This is not likely to be a 2 door STi. I will say that -anything- with subaru is possible (like everybody saying changes to the 09 wrx weren't possible...it was), just not probable for the STi.

joneSi

·
Registered
925 Posts
Dang.. that sux.. ah wells I'm happy with mine anyways... though I still like the RB5 that was never introduced in the US... sexy thing i was.. :(

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
There are LOADS of great scoobs that we never got in the states. The UK gets to have all the fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts