Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had XM on my old car and I wanted to use it on the WRX. I was told by my dealer that it was XM ready and all I had to do was transfer my subscription. When I push the ANT button nothing happens ??? I thought I read somewhere you have to buy another adapter or something to get it to work....any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
There's a plug on the back of the HU that accepts the sat radio interface. I'm pretty sure you can buy it at subaruparts.com

·
Registered
519 Posts
If you want the XM to play through your head unit and not have an add on radio that you stick to your window or mount some where you have to buy the XM kit from Subaru. That is what I did and had them install it too. The kit is a little over $400 a bit steap but I like not having an extra unit and wires hanging around the car. And all the display and if you put the radio controls on your wheel work for the XM. If you perfer SIRIUS then they have a kit for it too same price. When they say XM ready it just means that you can put this kit in and it will play and display through your radio. Also and I this kind of pissed me off at first the antenna for the XM is placed on the inside of the passenger side windshield. At first it bothered me but now I don't even notice it and most of my passengers don't either unless the radio comes up in conversation.

Seth

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks. Do you know if the dealer will install the steering wheel controls? That's really all I miss (the XM and steering wheel controls) from my old car, and I really didn't want to shell out an extra $2,100 just to get those two things. Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yes they will install both. I think that the radio install was $90. The steering wheel controls I did myself so I am not sure how much that would cost. I am sure it will be around $60 though. The controls themselves are I think $120. If you are at all mechanically inclined I would save the money and install the steering controls yourself. It is an easy install and If you want some help let me know and I can write up a little DIY for ya.

Seth

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would do it myself, but I'm really concerned about the air bag. And the steering wheel not aligning correctly. I think I've read a few places how to do it, but I don't know if I really want to take that risk. I found the part for the steering wheel controls for $90 off subaruparts.com. The XM thing is about $400 so I'm going to wait a little bit so I could get both and get them both installed at the same time.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked to the dealer today about the steering wheel controls and they are unsure if it can be done. Maybe I should print them off some of the DIY's off of here to show them ;) I am still looking, I really miss being able to control everything right on the wheel.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The steering controls are easy. As far as the steering wheel lining up just mark the shaft and the wheeel, or be a dummy like me and don't LOL. I had to realign mine. I just found a long straight stretch and drove, stopped removed the wheel and put it where it needs to be put everything back together. Don't worry about the air bag. It won't deploy while messing with the steering wheel.

Seth

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone done this install on their own for the XM? I really don't want to pay $126(quoted from dealer) to have it installed. I read the install instructions off a web-site, the only thing I can't figure out is if the wires are already pre-run behind the radio to the a-pillar. If so, then install should be a breeze by myself. Can anyone shed some light on that for me? Am I basically going to be mouting the XM reciever and antenna and plugging in some wiring, or do I have to run wiring behind the dash?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
no idea why you removed the entire wheel to do that... haha

I believe there is a DIY on NASIOC

you only have to remove the airbag

DON'T do this without killing the power first or you'll get a nice punch in the face.

·
Registered
519 Posts
In order to get to the screws that hold the controls on you have to remove the wheel to get to the plastic back plate off to access them.

Seth

1 - 11 of 11 Posts