Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
For the most part the Short Ram keeps the filter in the Engine bay which still gives it better air flow than stock however it is exposed to engine heat which limits your HP gain. THe CAI usually places the filter under the car or further away from the engine which allows cooler air into the intake. the General RUle is for every 10 degrees you can drop the intake temp that's one hp gain.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so will the CAI give me a better sounding of the air sucking in n the spooling sound of the turbo or the short ram ???

·
Registered
706 Posts
Well when dealing with turbos generally the shorter intake would be better. If you think of it in terms of sucking air through a straw If the straw is really short then you can suck the air alot easier. If it's really long you have to work harder to get the air in. But really the 2 different intakes aren't that much different in side to really matter. The CAI is just pulling air from a cooler source.

So I guess to answer your question....I'd say in my amature opinion....the short ram.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
the thing w/ a short ram..... it kind of gets more air by 'ramming' more air into it..... If the intake is set up and designed well, it can function as a ram air type intake. This can be good. The CAI doesnt get any air 'rammed' into it. From my experience w/ SRI's, they kind of suck in the summer, but if youre not racing it around, the loss in performance is not noticeable.
On NASIOC, ppl were testing the GD SPT SRI intake temps vs. standard air box. For the most part, at idle or in very slow moving traffic, the SRI intake air temps were higher, but once up to speed, the temps dropped back down.
CAI.... well, hydrolock always comes to mind. I have read many stories about hydrolocking motors and it has happened to some ppl close by me. Some cars have their CAI almost all the way down to the bottom of the fender lining. And these ppl may end up lowering an inch or more and the filter is now sitting real low. It floods around me area b/c the sewage system doesnt always work around here.... so yeah.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The stock air intake setup is ram air. Cold air intake takes fresh air coming in from the front and uses the metal piping to remove the heat from the air before it goes into the engine. Short ram is takes in lots of air, hot or cold. I think that a CAI is better in warmer temperatures and ram air is better in colder temperatures. The OEM setup is like a combination of both with maximum noise reduction in mind.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The stock air intake setup is ram air. Cold air intake takes fresh air coming in from the front and uses the metal piping to remove the heat from the air before it goes into the engine. Short ram is takes in lots of air, hot or cold. I think that a CAI is better in warmer temperatures and ram air is better in colder temperatures. The OEM setup is like a combination of both with maximum noise reduction in mind.
the problem w/ metal piping is heat soak. Metal retains heat more than plastic.... hence why plastic intake manifold may be beneficial.

·
Registered
537 Posts
the problem w/ metal piping is heat soak. Metal retains heat more than plastic.... hence why plastic intake manifold may be beneficial.
True but as long as the CAI has a constant flow of cold air the material used is irrelevant.
[quote author=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_air_intake]
Due to the limited time air actually remains inside the intake tubing, the materials often do not impact a kit's ability to deliver cool air.[/quote]
So as long as there is a constant flow of cooler air at the intakes snorkel your good to go.
:)

·
Registered
706 Posts
CAI.... well, hydrolock always comes to mind. I have read many stories about hydrolocking motors and it has happened to some ppl close by me. Some cars have their CAI almost all the way down to the bottom of the fender lining. And these ppl may end up lowering an inch or more and the filter is now sitting real low. It floods around me area b/c the sewage system doesnt always work around here.... so yeah.

Been there done that I got the Tow Bills from being stranded on the side of the road. I think I'm gonna go with the SRI this go round. I've seen heat shields for the Short Rams HPT Has one made by Agency Power.

·
Registered
646 Posts
it would have been cool had agency power took into consideration that the oem hood was notched so air could come from the grille and go to the intake area, yet there heat shield blocks it off...i have a ur cai and i think im gonna build a heat shield similar to that but with that in consideration

·
Registered
706 Posts
Thats a good point maybe they'd be willing to redesign the shielf to house the intake. You could always break out the Dremel.

·
Registered
298 Posts
0000021538 said:
the thing w/ a short ram..... it kind of gets more air by 'ramming' more air into it..... If the intake is set up and designed well, it can function as a ram air type intake. This can be good. The CAI doesnt get any air 'rammed' into it. From my experience w/ SRI's, they kind of suck in the summer, but if youre not racing it around, the loss in performance is not noticeable.
On NASIOC, ppl were testing the GD SPT SRI intake temps vs. standard air box. For the most part, at idle or in very slow moving traffic, the SRI intake air temps were higher, but once up to speed, the temps dropped back down.
Your statements about SRI's are totally not true at all. There is no raming effect unless you hook it up as a ram-air system, which is pretty much worthless anyway unless you are going crazy fast, even then it will still suck. If you want the sound and a margin of safety from hydrolock, go SRI. However, even with a SRI, you are making hydrolock more of a possibility than when you had the stock airbox. The best way to prevent hydrolock is to drive smart and control your throttle if you are going to be going through puddles or mud. If you want cooler intake temps and more power, go CAI. The best option would probably be a SRI with a heat shield of some sort. Either way, this isn't one of the most cost effective mods if you are looking for power on these cars.
+1
the vacuum from an NA engine or the boost from blown engine pulls air through the filter. short ram is the better choice of the two imo just because they're simpler and easier to maintain (and very low chance of getting water in the filter).

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
0000021538 said:
Your statements about SRI's are totally not true at all. There is no raming effect unless you hook it up as a ram-air system, which is pretty much worthless anyway unless you are going crazy fast, even then it will still suck. If you want the sound and a margin of safety from hydrolock, go SRI. However, even with a SRI, you are making hydrolock more of a possibility than when you had the stock airbox. The best way to prevent hydrolock is to drive smart and control your throttle if you are going to be going through puddles or mud. If you want cooler intake temps and more power, go CAI. The best option would probably be a SRI with a heat shield of some sort. Either way, this isn't one of the most cost effective mods if you are looking for power on these cars.
your statement saying my statement on SRI are totally not true at all is not true. I already mentioned that using a ram air set up would be beneficial. Some folks w/ previous generation Impreza use SRI w/ heat shield while cutting the stock air diversion piece, still making it functional. As I stated before and you restated, it will still suck. But my personal feeling is, I wouldnt be racing between traffic lights anyhow so a little heat soak is ok. And you really dont need to be going crazy fast to get a type of ram air affect.

·
Registered
298 Posts
there's no difference in the ramming effect between a short ram intake and a cold air intake. and because of the location of the filter, you're not going to get any ramming effect in a subaru, there's not going to be enough air flow being forced at the filter. look at some of the trans ams with ram air.. now that's a ram air setup. there's a hood scoop leading to a sealed off air box so when you're going fast, the air is forced through the filter. and even then, it doesn't generate much power.

the difference between a short ram intake and a cold air intake is the location of the filter. it has nothing to do with a ram effect.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I dont think the plastic intake will give you a ram effect. i believe the only reason it's there is because it gives the stock intake a cooler source to pull from.

I think this is kinda the effect your looking for. Although it does give the car a cooler intake source it's still not ram air. Once you close the hood there is'nt much air flow to consider this a ram air intake. You'd be better off taking the headlight out.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I dont think the plastic intake will give you a ram effect. i believe the only reason it's there is because it gives the stock intake a cooler source to pull from.

I think this is kinda the effect your looking for. Although it does give the car a cooler intake source it's still not ram air. Once you close the hood there is'nt much air flow to consider this a ram air intake. You'd be better off taking the headlight out.
I always wondered what it would be like to drive without the hood. ;D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts