Secret to the best 60' times

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm running the 1/8th mile track again this weekend and I'm really wanting to get my 60 foot times in order so I'm hoping for some opinions.

I know I have to huge problems that slow me down in that regard. 1 I can do nothing about, that's 4200'+ altitute. The other is the lightweight flywheel but I'm not ready to change back just yet.

Currently I'm sitting TP stg.3.52 with the following mods. Turbo XS CAI(will be installed in time for racing) FMS FMIC, GS EBCS, Colder NGK Plugs, VF52, AP DP, DC sports TBE, TS pitch stop, Group N trans mount. Perrin SS, Kart boy Subframe spacers, TIC transmission spacers, and Exedy stg.2 3 puck clutch.

I've only managed a 1.9 60' once and that was launching at 5300 rpm. The rest of the time I'm consistently 2.0XX. they do a good job of making the track sticky so wheel spin hasn't been a problem. Bogging has been my biggest problem launching at anything less than 5000rpm. I'm guessing that the flywheel is the culprit for this. This was all before STG 3 so I'm expecting a bit of a different animal.

Any constructive criticism, or ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Launch control man. Coming out with boost and lots of torque really helps pull it off the line. When you leave at 5000 your basically leaving on motor and no turbo. 4500 launch control is freaking awesome. Slip it a little and hold on for dear life!

·
Registered
957 Posts
tires shouldnt be a huge concern for an AWD vehicule on the 60ft. its all about the reaction time and the launch itself really. i launch 4500, no LC, stage 2 and i average 1.9 on the 60ft, on an unprepped track. and thats in the average, i could get 1.8 if i launched on a prepped track on a cooler evening. just make sure you start releasing the clutch when the last yellow light is there, by the time your car takes of itll be green and that will cut your reaction time dramatically. just by doing that and learning to launch better (still imperfect) i went from 2.3 to 1.9 60ft. that makes my quartermile 13-13.1 on stage 2. master the clutch and you'll master the drag strip.

as was pointed out, you can also use launch control, but id research on the risks of doing so first. its like cruise control for the drag, but puts stress on your drivetrain. use at your own risks

oh and make sure you keep your IC cool if you have a TMIC. just pop the hood open between runs to allow it not to heatsoak

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Launch control has worked to get me consistant. My tires aren't great but I haven't had a problem with wheel spin, it's been with bogging down unless I set LC at least 5000 rpm. My RT's are so-so at around 0.2XX but as Zulu pointed out they shouldn't be a factor. Now that I have the FMIC I'm looking forward to not needing to worry so much about heatsoak.

So what I am hearing is that I'm really not doing too much different than everyone else it's just the altitude and flywheel that make it though to get quicker. The wisdom is that with every 1000 feet you lose 3% power so I'm losing ~15% at my track, so now that I'm stg 3 I should be able to make up for that loss and start seeing some 1.9's

·
Registered
957 Posts
Launch control has worked to get me consistant. My tires aren't great but I haven't had a problem with wheel spin, it's been with bogging down unless I set LC at least 5000 rpm.
launch has to do with power, but 90% of what majkes a 60ft is how you use your clutch to launch. You dont need LC to get better 60 fts (but it helps heaps). However i'm pretty sure your clutch work is whats holding you back here. the rev you launch at doesnt matter when you feather and release the clutch the right way, you shouldn't see any bog

·
Registered
67 Posts
I hate to be one to say this but... We have tenhundred launching topics/posts already!!
The conclusion has been reached that popping the clutch at 6500rpm is the best launch regardless of mods.

Edit: its your clutch grabbing too hard

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love the consistency of Launch control, most of my 60' are within a couple hundredths of a second @2.0XX but having gotten a 1.9 on my last track day I knew there was room for improvement. From the sounds of things it'll take some work on the clutch work to get a little quicker.
I realize there are other launching threads out there and I've read most of them, however this is the first, I believe with a poll. Also I was wondering if others were seeing similar results at high altitude.
Since it's been asked a couple times, I'm running Riken Raptor ZR's(225's). While they're not the best the track prep. has kept them from spinning unless the tire pressure gets too low.
I'm in Central BC, Canada.

·
Registered
536 Posts
You are not spinning tires with that power level on a prepped track so lets take that out of the equation first.

Reaction times do not get factored into your time or 60 foot so lets also remove that from discussion, you can wait 10 seconds to go and still run a 12.9 or whatever your time is as long as you dont leave the yellow stage.

Traction control needs to be turned off. Aka you should see that little yellow warning with a car and 2 sliding tires on your display.

Your 60 foot is more about where your launching at, hopefully in the 4500-5k range. You dont want to just drop the clutch, you need to learn a technique known as feathering. You want to try to have your car revved at 4500 - 5k RPM's and the clutch pushed in ALMOST to where it would engage as your revved up waiting to go. As soon as you want to go you engage the clutch, feel it catch, and then feather (slide out) it out. You want to feather it out as fast as possible without actually just straight up dropping it.

You can get into the 1.6 range fairly easy on as little as stage 2 power consistantly once you learn. Just try and get some runs in and practice. If your uncomfortable starting at such a high RPM go up and start at 3500 and work your way up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
figured i would throw my my 2 cents

My best run came with launch control set at 5500 and slipped clutch. tires set at 31psi. caught 1.70 60'
stock tires with cobb stage 2 power

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
figured i would throw my my 2 cents

My best run came with launch control set at 5500 and slipped clutch. tires set at 31psi. caught 1.70 60'
stock tires with cobb stage 2 power
STi not fair. COBB Stage 2 I've seen @ 290+ WHP. Gear ratios, 245 width sticky rubber, LSD, DCCD (helps a lot) plus we don't know what other mods you may have. Suspension perhaps?

·
Registered
65 Posts
nope just stock suspension and tires. Oh and i took out my spare :eek:
my turboback and CAI with Cobb OTS map are only power mods.
my timeslip was posted up a few mins ago

·
Registered
957 Posts
WRX power, i get 1.7's with 225's all seasons, heavy wheels, and launching at 4500 with no VDC. it's all about how you release the clutch

·
Registered
957 Posts
hell those are old :) i'll see if i can get the newer ones when i get home, but i got 12.9's last visit to the strip

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I'd like to thank some of the info on this thread for helping my 60' times. The combination of a little clutch slipping, 5300 rpm, stg 3 and lower altitude combined for a 1.81 - 60' Now if only I had better tires and a stock flywheel I know 1.7's are possible. A copy of my slip will be up in the 1/8 mile thread as soon as my slips are scanned.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts