Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put wider wheels on the back over the front but using the same tire width. I was at my local tire shop getting a tire fixed and checking out the whell and tires they had to offer. The slaes guy said I my want to with wider wheel in the back. Has anyone done this? Is there any benefit?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I thought and said also but the sales guy seemed to feel that even though having the same width tires all around the wider wheels would make a difference.

·
Registered
298 Posts
i don't think i've heard of anyone doing that. ??? basically, a wider rear wheel with the same tire width will give you very slightly better response/grip from the rear. i wouldn't bother as you probably won't be able to notice the difference and it might look weird with one tire a little more stretched than the other and you can't really rotate your tires front to back anymore. just get the same size wheel all around.

having a larger rear wheel and is a very common rwd car thing. most production rwd cars will have a bigger rear tire/wheel.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
i don't think i've heard of anyone doing that. ??? basically, a wider rear wheel with the same tire width will give you very slightly better response/grip from the rear. i wouldn't bother as you probably won't be able to notice the difference and it might look weird with one tire a little more stretched than the other and you can't really rotate your tires front to back anymore. just get the same size wheel all around.

having a larger rear wheel and is a very common rwd car thing. most production rwd cars will have a bigger rear tire/wheel.
Yeah, you won't be able to rotate well and having it on a different wheel size might change the overall diameter depending on how much the tire is stretched.

Keep all your wheels and tires the same size. It will make your life much easier and it is not worth the extra effort. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I totally agree with everyone. The tire rotation would not work. Plus I am not sure of the look either. I wanted to hear if anyone had tried this. I didn't even think of it until the sales guy brought it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts