Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I posted here when I first got my car and really have not read the forums at all after that. Mainly because it's the middle of Winter here and it's very cold and very snowy so I was waiting until it warms up really get doing things on my car. Now it's starting to warm up and in a bit it will be nice out and I will be ready for some good driving.

I will probably end up spending a lot on my car this year the problem is I'm not sure what I should be doing and or where to start! I'll be getting my windows tinted and the Cobb shifter in the next week or two but thats just starting, after that I'm looking for performance upgrades.

I know I probably sound like a total newbie but what's Stage 1,2, & 3 mean? No making fun it is the newbie forum.

The AccessPORT looks awesome, even without any mods does it make a good difference? Would it be a good thing to buy now? As I did more mods I assume I would just change it to different maps.

I hear Rallitek has some really good setups, and I'd definitely be interested in doing something like that.

I'll probably be doing a lot of mods over the next 6 months, but because right now I know nothing about moding I plan on reading up and learning what is needed to do.

·
Registered
752 Posts
what kind of HP numbers are you looking for?

did you want to get a bigger turbo?

a Cobb AP and downpipe are a good place to start.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what kind of HP numbers are you looking for?

did you want to get a bigger turbo?

a Cobb AP and downpipe are a good place to start.
Over 300 eventually. I don't mind taking most of the year to get there. Around 320 or 340 sounds nice.

Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
752 Posts
well, i think you would need a bigger turbo for the 300+ hp. and all the supporting mods of course.

i think a "Big 16g" or an 18g would be able to cover that. http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FP&Category_Code=WRX-Turbo

you can call up Deatsch Werks and ask what size injectors the recommend. maybe 750cc? http://www.deatschwerks.com/catalog/
the stock fuel pump should be ok, but a Walbro 255 wouldnt hurt.

you will need a different intercooler if you go with a turbo other than one made by AVO. www.ultimate-racing.com had a FMIC.

You will also need a Big MAF or something similar. I went with a CAI from ultimate-racing. Other companies have intakes available also.

Cobb AP is what i used for getting tuned.

hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Stages differ from place to place. Cobb Tuning's site sells staged power packages, with Stage 1 just containing the AP. Stage 2 contains the AP and the turbo back exhaust I believe(someone correct me if I'm wrong). I am 100% stock and have an AP. I haven't gotten to beat on it yet so I can't tell you how the gains affect me. Alot of people say that even with a bone stock set up an acessport is a great quick HP gain, however, not cheap. Good luck and happy modding!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Stage 1: Engine management
Stage 2: Engine management, turbo back exhaust
Stage 3: Engine management, turbo back exhaust, STi or larger top mount
Stage 4: Engine management, turbo back exhaust, STi or larger top mount, VF series turbo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where should I order the AP from? I see that if you order it from Perrin you get there maps with it witch they say are better then Cobb's.

Most places near my house have 91 Octane at it's highest so I'd have to go with a 91 Octane map.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think most AP are shipped with similar maps...including the Valet, Economy, Stage 1 93 and 91 octange, Stage 2 91 and 93 octane and a few others. I know Sean S. from RalliTEK also provides ProTune mapping to set up a good map with your mods if you buy it from them. I'm currently awaiting a map for the AVO intake(which should be here next week hopefully). I think the pricing is the same anywhere you go. I have heard good things about Perrin and Cobb. There are a few topics on the board here that discuss this same issue. It's all up to you in the end!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'd start with better tires, then swaybars and endlinks.

I have the tires, now I need the swaybars and endlinks.

More power isn't impressive if you can't point the car where you want to point it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'd start with better tires, then swaybars and endlinks.

I have the tires, now I need the swaybars and endlinks.

More power isn't impressive if you can't point the car where you want to point it.
Agreed. I have heard ALOT of bad reviews on the Potenza's on our WRX's. I am also looking at the RalliTEK F&R swaybars in the near future, I love crisp, grip the road type handling.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Only part that sucks is I'll probably need two sets of tires, one for summer and one for winter.
I've heard that it gets costly to have tires put on and taken off with balancing and alignment fees... to the point where it is more cost effective to have two sets of wheels. One with snow rubber and one with summer rubber.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only part that sucks is I'll probably need two sets of tires, one for summer and one for winter.
I've heard that it gets costly to have tires put on and taken off with balancing and alignment fees... to the point where it is more cost effective to have two sets of wheels. One with snow rubber and one with summer rubber.

Yeah I'd probably get a set of winter rims for my winter tires. Nice thing is winter is starting to end so if I wait a bit and buy some summer tires it while till I need winter tires/rims.

·
Registered
752 Posts
i'm probably going to use my stock tires for daily driving and upgrade to some better all season tires when i have to.

tire/rim set #2 will be light weight racing rims with sticky tires for use in very nice weather and on the track.

·
Registered
182 Posts

This is, in fact, the route most people who get away from all-seasons go, and it is the route that I have gone. You can spend a little on wheels or a lot (I spent a little). A wheelset will pay for itself in about four years versus the cost of demounting/remounting/rebalancing tires twice per year on a single wheelset, given typical rates ($15-$20 per corner).

Plus, you know, even inexpensive wheels really improve the looks of the car rather dramatically. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
always go handling first.... then some driving lessons. no sense to have the power if you can't drive it.

I thought I could drive. then I went to a driving school.....showed me how bad I really was....

·
Registered
327 Posts
always go handling first.... then some driving lessons. no sense to have the power if you can't drive it.

I thought I could drive. then I went to a driving school.....showed me how bad I really was....
What kind of class was it? Was it like a "refresher" of driver's ed, or an actual real-life driving course. I felt like driver's ed was like some fantasy way of driving(maybe I'm just a terrible driver? ;)) I'd be interested in this course if it taught more aggressive driving and control, rather than being like driver's ed....or like those stupid classes they send you to when you get a speeding ticket.(that one was bad)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Yeah me and a friend were thinking of doing some Pro Driving School this year, I think it would be a fun weekend and you could learn a lot.

Now I know to start with handling.

I'll probably order the sway bars with endlinks soon then I'll buy some nice tires for summer, Do most of you stick with 17" for the wheels or upgrade 18"? Once Winter comes again I'll get some good winter tires and winter rims.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts