Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the few options for sway bars I've found myself confused as to what set-up I'd like to purchase.

I thoroughly enjoy the STI's firmness and would like to duplicate something similar to it. I can't find spec's on what size sway's are used in the STI so I don't have any other anything to compare my current ride to the STI's.

Also I've been looking for slightly firmer springs. The problem I'm having there is that I don't want to lower my car. I might settle for a very slight lowering of the front but most certainly not the rear. It's low enough for my taste already. I'm of the sort that appreciates the more rally oriented look over the street racer look. What options are out there and where can I find them?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
sti pinks on sale. https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_99_111&products_id=1363

rallitek front / rear sway combo on sale too. http://www.rallitek.com/rafrreswbars.html

rear sway end links @ $59. http://www.rallitek.com/rahdreen08im.html

front end links @ $99. http://www.rallitek.com/whfrswbaren.html

this set up works for me. good bang for the buck too. if i had my time back i would have probably got the whiteline adjustable sways just so that i could fine tune it a bit.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sti pinks on sale. https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_99_111&products_id=1363

rallitek front / rear sway combo on sale too. http://www.rallitek.com/rafrreswbars.html

this set up works for me. good bang for the buck.
:D Funny, this is pretty much what I've been thinking too.

But as I was saying, I have been unsure because I don't what to compare it to. Also I was reading somewhere on Cobbs website about how their sway's don't rust and others do..... OK..... Um, which ones have a tendency to rust then???

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cobb is full of it. Most sways, as long they are painted or powdercoated, and they aren't ebay sways, will not really rust. I've never seen a rusty sway bar, except for the nuts and bolts associated with it.

Anyway, I would start small, especially if you are going to upgrade springs. Small changed in the thickness of sway bars tend to go a LONG way. Bigger is not always better and "upgrade" should not be automatically associated with "larger". Stiffer sway bars CAN stiffen up the FEEL of the car in addition to providing some extra roll resistance, but it doesn't really feel like a positive sort of stiffness to me like stiffer springs or shocks would offer.

Aside from that, they won't do anything about the pitching that you feel in the stock wrx suspension, so you'll still have a marshmallowy feel. I'd say go with a F:22mm, R:19mm/20mm type setup. Throw some decent springs on there with em and I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results.
Thanks,

I feel like that's sound advice. But still nobody has given me info on the STI spec's and what I mean is, what size sway bars are on the STI?!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Usually the STI sways are slightly larger than the WRX sways.

If I remember correctly in the 2005 model for example...the WRX had 17mm front and rear and the STI had 20mm front and rear

I'm guessing (this is a guess mind you) that the STI sways are in the 21-22mm front and 18-20mm rear range.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Your stock bars are something like 20mm front/15mm rear... very thin.

Choices that I've found for aftermarket bars are 22 or 25 mm (front) and 19 or 22mm (rear). Cobb's bars are 25/19 (f/r) and Perrin's are 22 front and your choice of 19 or 22 for the rear. I know Cusco and others have similar sizes.

What I've learned over the years about swaybar tuning is this... size your bars based on how stiff you're going to go with your springs and shocks. In other words, if you're going for the 1.5 to 2" drop with fairly stiff springs, you do NOT want super stiff swaybars. In that case, I'd do the 22/19 bars.

BUT, if you're going with the STI Pinks, you're probably better off with the 25mm front bar, and then the rear I'm not sure about yet. A stiffer rear bar will make the back end more likely to rotate, so unless you're doing a lot of autox or track use, I tend to think the smaller 19mm bar is the better choice for the street. I won't know more until I get my suspension done and on the alignment rack to see what kind of camber and toe numbers I can get in the back.

I got the 25mm front bar, and I plan to use the STI Pinks, but I'm thinking I will get a 19mm rear bar and see how that works. I can always sell it and get the bigger one later if I need to.

Rob

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your stock bars are something like 20mm front/15mm rear... very thin.

Choices that I've found for aftermarket bars are 22 or 25 mm (front) and 19 or 22mm (rear). Cobb's bars are 25/19 (f/r) and Perrin's are 22 front and your choice of 19 or 22 for the rear. I know Cusco and others have similar sizes.

What I've learned over the years about swaybar tuning is this... size your bars based on how stiff you're going to go with your springs and shocks. In other words, if you're going for the 1.5 to 2" drop with fairly stiff springs, you do NOT want super stiff swaybars. In that case, I'd do the 22/19 bars.

BUT, if you're going with the STI Pinks, you're probably better off with the 25mm front bar, and then the rear I'm not sure about yet. A stiffer rear bar will make the back end more likely to rotate, so unless you're doing a lot of autox or track use, I tend to think the smaller 19mm bar is the better choice for the street. I won't know more until I get my suspension done and on the alignment rack to see what kind of camber and toe numbers I can get in the back.

I got the 25mm front bar, and I plan to use the STI Pinks, but I'm thinking I will get a 19mm rear bar and see how that works. I can always sell it and get the bigger one later if I need to.

Rob
Please keep us updated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts