Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that the vf48 is a direct fit... It can't be; the STI vf48 turbo outlet exits horizontally, the td04 exits upward.

So which upgraded turbos are direct bolt ons???

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
the VF48 does not directly bolt up. You will need STi intercooler, older generation intake manifold (or STi), and some other stuff. Off the top of my head, a direct bolt in turbo is VF40.

·
Registered
421 Posts
any turbo designed for a subaru wrx (even for the 2g wrx) will be direct fit on your car.

FP Green,
PE1820
Any TD05-20G/18G

are just the 2 that i'm looking at

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you plan on running a Front Mount Intercooler you can pretty much run any turbo you want. I spoke with WBR performance today and they sell a FMIC with an option to use a standard style subaru turbo. Price for WBR FMIC is $1299 shipped. This is alot easier than doing a full STI swap. The STI swap sounds easy but there is alot of vacum lines that need to be reworked when chaging the intake manifold. By using a FMIC you can use the stock intake manifold with no problems.

·
Registered
177 Posts
that's true you can. but for bolt on, wrx turbo has to have a flange. 2008 wrx have turbos similar to the legacy.

cant use sti style inter cooler or turbo, at least, not as bolt on. lots of additional plumbing required

1 - 16 of 16 Posts