Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when im driving along around 4000 rpm, and above 60 km per hour, a whistling noise starts droning in coming from the dash, as if its connected to the air vent, and builds up in volume as i accelerate. i turned the aircon off, and my belts are tight, but still i get this noise? any ideas?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
could be your throw out bearing, mine when out and it sounded like a whistle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
throughout bearing????

well after some close attention, the whistle starts at 2000rpm ( just becomes really noticeable at 4 ) and only happens when the head unit is activated....?

here is my system specs.

i have 1 alphine 5 channel 1000 watt amp powering the stock speakers,

a hi way converter behind the stock head unit

a 1000 watt fusion mono block powering a 900 watt fusion 12 inch sub ( WAY TOO MUCH BASE )

im pretty sure a problem has gone wrong with installation of the high way conveter or something.

kinda thinking of thinking maybe a bass that powerfull wasnt the way to go.... it is loud.... very loud...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Alright brother try this... mount ur amps on something besides metal... my friend had this problem with his truck that had a monster system... so remount ur amps there they arnt touching metal if that doesn't work sorry bud...

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
sounds like electricity related (try turning the stereo OFF completely and the HVAC OFF completely)

or you're hearing the turbo spool up ;D

·
Registered
36 Posts
reading on NASIOC some other year wrx/sti have had a similar issue at those speeds from the way the wind passes over the mirrors causes a whistling noise....may or maynot be the issue here but throwing it out there :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
i notice a whistle when going above 40 mph and coasting. the fact that slight acceleration removes it lead me to believe that its due to the angle of the car. this makes me think that its the Sport Grille problem. If you got the car with a sport grille from the factory, you'll know there is a slight foam lining between it and the hood that was put it place to stop a whistle the sport grille caused. however i think mine is off center and thus one side could be responsible for the slight whistle. could just be the mirrors though :p

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
If its under slight throttle or mid throttle it might be compressor surge from the turbo. Its normal but unusual from a stock car. I experience it as well if this helps you.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
nah it happens at full throttle

I've pretty much confirmed it's humming from the K&N filter I put in the stock air box

with the OEM paper filter in, it doesn't do it anymore

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
nah it happens at full throttle

I've pretty much confirmed it's humming from the K&N filter I put in the stock air box

with the OEM paper filter in, it doesn't do it anymore
What about the OP? ;)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
whoops I thought this was my thread, I started a nearly identical one a while back on DirtyImpreza... lol

this could also be the mirrors!!! check to make sure they're tight -- there's a phillips head screw on the bottom face of both of the mirrors

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
whoops I thought this was my thread, I started a nearly identical one a while back on DirtyImpreza... lol

this could also be the mirrors!!! check to make sure they're tight -- there's a phillips head screw on the bottom face of both of the mirrors
noob

·
Registered
11 Posts
mine has this noise also ...from 3,500 to 4,000 revs in each gear . soon as i change up it goes away until it hits the same revs (3500 - 4000) for the next change up. (never down thru the gears always up). wierd. only noticed it about 1,000 k's ago (ive done 28,000k)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
mine has this noise also ...from 3,500 to 4,000 revs in each gear . soon as i change up it goes away until it hits the same revs (3500 - 4000) for the next change up. (never down thru the gears always up). wierd. only noticed it about 1,000 k's ago (ive done 28,000k)
A bit more description on the noise? Bird chirp, human whistling, wind whistle. traffic officer whistling with metal whistle (but not nearly as loud)?
Each one of these can mean a different thing and can be present in any of our cars. :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
OH! sry ... yeah like a human whistle .doesnt matter if the air cons on or off ..only from 3500 to 4000 revs just before i change up :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not something I've noticed yet (had mine since December 07), but I'm interested in the outcome..

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
OH! sry ... yeah like a human whistle .doesnt matter if the air cons on or off ..only from 3500 to 4000 revs just before i change up :)
Since you mention right before the change up I am assuming that you are on the acelerator which in whatever case allows us to focus on parts that are affected under load, and not speed related. I have heard numerous people complaining about an exhaust leak when the turbo starts to get to full boost. This usually goes awa once the revs get higher (confirm) and can go away with enough carbon build up to form a proper seal. Gasket sealant might also work. Belt noise can also be present at this RPM. You mention that the A/C being on is not a factor but see if it affects the noise. Mine did this and my A/C broke shortly afterwards as well.

Oh yeah is your car stock?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts