Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,ok... I just installed the spearco tmic the other day as well as the appropriate heat shielding too keep down the possibility of heat soak to the unit. I have been working with Eric of TP on the issue as I have been running his maps for awhile now. Anyhoo, As I enter boost around the 10 psi level I begin too get this crazy whistling from the turbo side of the engine bay. It sustains in sound but digresses (a bit) in volume as I continue the pull. The car runs really well, but this noise is ridiculously annoying!

Anyone else out there have this issue?

Power Mods:
TP 3.52
Tsudo N1 CBE
CNT Catless DP
Spearco TMIC
GFB Hybrid BOV
GS Lightweight Pully
Gates Kevlar Belts
VF52 Swap
Cobb 3 port EBCS
AEM Intake
Turbo Blanket

Thanks in advance...

- Beau

·
Registered
217 Posts
more people have this issue than not.

firstly, did you get the revised top mount or are you running the original design? to know, is the turbo side of the top mount rounded (revised), or is it squared off(original). this was a design change made by spearco and offered to all as a free upgrade if you shipped your intercooler to them in the alotted time period (which is now over). this was supposed to cure the squeal everyone was hearing.

secondly, are your clamps tightened to within an inch of their life? it seems that the elbows in the kit aren't perfectly round, and if the clamps aren't tightened enough air still escapes and squeals. if you think they're tight, go tighten them some more and report back.

thats all i got...good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shit! I just bought this used BNIB over on NASIOC. I didn't realize that they had an updated design. LAME!!!!!!!! All clamps are tightened as tight as they will go but I will tighten them more if I can.

I am not happy right now!

·
Registered
217 Posts
i don't blame you for being upset. i'm still running the original design, as this is my only car and i couldn't afford the downtime of sending the intercooler back to spearco. i'm sure you could contact them and work out some kind of deal if you cant stand the original design.

for what its worth, my intercooler doesn't make this noise. i would just suggest fixing the couplers and tightening the clamps again. worked for me

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just tightened everything down but I discovered a slight tear in the first hose from the flanged turbo outlet. I'll change and report back

Over and out

- Beau

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called them and they said if I could find the thread on here too follow the instructions and MAYBE they will still do it. Which I think is sub-par customer service. I feel they should have taken my information right then and got the ball rolling but nope. "Find the thread"

Do you have a link to the thread?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Did you speak with Reggie? That's an odd response. I do recommend you spray all your silicone hoses with hairspray on the inside before clamping/tightening down regardless of the redesign.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got an email back from Raffi. I am sending it in :) Overall the product does a great job cooling so I am excited too get rid of that turbulence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts