1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
651 Posts
when you lower a vehicle the control arm starts to become parallel instead of of angling downward from the center of the car

/ \; when this occurs the roll center is lowered, the further the roll center migrates from the center of gravity- more roll is introduced- obviously not desirable. this is the reason why one has to be very conservative w/ lowering on the Impreza

this kit (and others) space the ball joint which in turn causes the control arm to go from __ to \- this raises the roll center (keeping it closer to the center of gravity)

if you only space the ball joint, the tie rod is then misaligned and causes an increase in bump steer (not desirable), however if you space it the same as the ball joint you maintain the same geometry as the factory and no increase in bump steer

the WL kit offers both a spaced ball joint and a spaced tie rod end

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thing is.. unless you've done something to fix the rear suspension travel issue, you've got much bigger problems than bumpsteer, camber loss and roll center on the front suspension if you're dropping your '08+ Impreza that low.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whats wrong with the rear suspension???

·
Registered
651 Posts
nothing "wrong" per se, it's just that there isn't a lot of travel left on the table if you go to lowering it

this Impreza, like those preceding it, are sensitive to lowering- a little is OK, too much though and............

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but shouldnt coilovers take care of that? the height of the car doesnt change the shock travel with coilovers, or so i think. . .

·
Registered
651 Posts
depends on the coilover- some can lower w/o effecting travel, most simply lower by adjusting the lower perch- this will eat up bump travel no differently than lowering springs

also many (most) coilovers have significantly less travel than the oe setup

excessive lowering even if you preserve travel is still detrimental as your screwing up the relationship w/ the roll center and center of gravity (as discussed above)

I will tell you that finding a good coilover setup is not easy and will not be cheap

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah im pretty happy with my bc's. so anyways, how do i know if i need the RC kit or not?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah its pretty low. i got less than 1 gap on top of the tire up front and barely 1 in the rear ;D no rubbing or hitting fenders over bumps though so its not gettin any lower

1 - 10 of 10 Posts