Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed Whiteline adjustable sways in the front with their spherical endlinks. Although everything went on easy, the angle of the endlinks is very asymmetrical. I've set the endlink to the same length. It almost looks like the bar is too short or angled differently on one side. I've checked the part #'s. It could also be off center but the lock collars that came preinstalled won't let it shift further to the drivers side. Anybody else with this setup have this issue? On the drivers side it looks like the lock nut is binding with the endlink body.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Yes, just move the collars to even things up. I replaced the metal things on the collars with hose clamps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I temporarily removed the collars and swapped the endlinks from one side to the other. The final results don't look too bad but on the driver's side the topend of the link is fully cocked and on the Passenger's side the bar is all the way up to the bend in order to even out the spacing between sides. When the straight section of the bar is centered, there is about a half an inch difference in the distance between the bar end and the control arm mounts when comparing the two sides. Either its bent or a manufacturing error?? Since it took installing the thing to determine that it doesn't fit quite right I doubt that I will be able to return it for another one. Oh well, it fits, just not well, sure drives a hell of a lot better and I'm not getting any noises yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I would just center it such that the endlinks are at similar angles. The centering of the straight portion shouldn't matter much. If your car was going to be regularly tracked then MAYBE you could see some negative effects, but I doubt it. Though, I'm no mechanic either.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately the bar won't shift anymore towards the driver side. The D bushing is right at the bend on the passenger side. But in any event, I didn't figure that the position of D-bushings really mattered since I assume everything is acting torsionally. My biggest concern is that top of the one endlink is at its limit in angle. I tend to think that a part should be centered about its own play. But I'm also not a mechanic. One of my main reasons for getting the sways was to get it setup for autocross. I did a one of the schools and although manageable there was too much understeer and bodyroll. I really need the thing to hold up to the additional wear and tear.

So, thinking that all hope was lost on returning it I sent an email to Harman Motive and Whiteline to see if they had any suggestions. I still haven't heard back from Harman but Whiteline wrote me back right away! They offered to take a look at it in their shop (of course I'm a continent away) and suggested that I take some more photos and measurements, and if anything was wrong they would work with Harman to get it exchanged for a new one. So far I'm pretty impressed by Whiteline's service.

Now for the measurements.. The bar is about 1/2 in shorter than stock and when installed this difference carries through to the driver side. Also on the driver side the sway bar tab is slightly flatter and less vertical than on the passenger side. However, all of my other measurements were only an 1/8 in off from side to side. I think that the combination of the length and difference in the bend is what is doing it. I've got plenty of pictures and measurements to send out and I'll hope for the best.

·
Registered
651 Posts
can the endlinks be lengthened any more or are you at the limit of lengthening? if they can be lengthened that would help a little w/ the angle

also you might want to see how the bar looks in the other holes- sometimes this makes a big difference in the geometry of the links

which WL bar do you have?

also I've not had the best of luck w/ WL's collars, I use Poltec collars instead

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
This looks like an STi. Confirm please. If this is the case, then this is normal as the front sways for WRX are not same for STi. They are too short.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
If not, please look at Blackthing's sway bar. THe pressed ends are in vertical position where yours has bout a 30 degree outward angle. You may have a badly pressed unit also.

Good Luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This looks like an STi. Confirm please. If this is the case, then this is normal as the front sways for WRX are not same for STi. They are too short.

Thanks
No, unfortunately I don't have an STI. The angles of the tabs are less vertical and I believe that it may have been bent improperly. I'm hoping to hear back from Whiteline soon.

The bar is the 22mm adjustable and I have not yet tried the other holes. Those collars look much better than the whitelines. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
651 Posts
there was a fellow on clubwrx w/ a 08 that purchased a rallitek front bar, he had similar experiences w/ the links to far tipped in / \, in the end he discovered they sent him the wrong bar- a STi bar instead of a WRX bar.

Do you have the part # on the bar or the box you can look at?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The part # is SF30Z.. It is missing the B in front it but I think the STI part # is different on a couple of letters. The good news is that both Whiteline and Harman have been totally cool about the whole thing and are arranging to send me replacement under warranty. They even paid for the shipping expense.

·
Registered
651 Posts
exactly like the other fellow- guys will have to be careful when ordering

glad they fixed the mistake :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts