Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<< V2 with all stock maps at this point. On stage2 acn map.

anyone else having a problem with their wastegate?

***see my dyno graph about 14 posts down***

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've heard that the Cobb stage 2 map that comes with the AP is garbage.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I really don't like the Cobb 91ACN maps. I really think that you need to have a custom protune to get the most out of the car.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just got mine last night, and I'm planning on loading the Stage 1 93 octane map. The only other map I plan to run is one from Sean/RalliTEK that incorporates the AVO intake.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've got a catless DP with 3" piping throughout with single muffler on my sedan. I too experienced boost spike. There is a hose that tees after the wastegate, about 1/4" OD. I took the "t" assembly of hoses off. Notice that the two hoses that follow in-line have hard bumps in them. These are restrictor pills. Remove the brass pill from one side and drill to .047". Place the pill back in the hose you removed it from and re-connect to the car. Make sure the side you drilled out is on your right side when standing in front of the car looking at the hood. By opening this hole, the turbo will reach a lower, safer boost level. After I did this I hooked my AP up to it and set it to "live data" to get an accurate boost reading. I did a few hard pulls through to 4th gear and reached my target boost level. I have had no problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
to reduce boost creep, the best idea would be getting a protune. Like stated above, a protune will truly open your cars performance. If not, im not to sure about the 08 models, but i used enginuity and Open Ecu when i ran my old fp green setup in my 05sti.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where are you guys getting your protunes at? Is it something that is just emailed to you by a vendor?

·
Registered
359 Posts
where are you guys getting your protunes at? Is it something that is just emailed to you by a vendor?

Protune are generally created by a tuner with software called "street tuner" . They put your car on a dyno and then create a custom map as opposed to generic maps that vendors bundle with the sale of an AP or the ones you can download from Cobb's site.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Contact Perrin performance, I hear they are done/almost done working on stage 2 mapping.
p.s Just don't expect to hit their target boost levels :p

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

Protune are generally created by a tuner with software called "street tuner”. They put your car on a dyno and then create a custom map as opposed to generic maps that vendors bundle with the sale of an AP or the ones you can download from Cobb's site.
According to Justin at Cobb the new "Street Tuner" software is called "AcessTUNER Race” They do not have a release date of AcessTUNER.

I have been looking for maps for our CRAPPY CA GAS. I think Perrin is still testing the 91oct map, unless that has changed in the last week or so, but PDX Tuning Said they had a 91ct map... Quote from an email to PDX: "Our mapping for your car makes 275 ft lbs and 220 whp. We have actually done
extensive testing in California with our maps, and they work great."

According Jarrad at PDX Tuning... Their maps cost about $150 and they will do a little fine tuning for "Safety". = Install the map, do some data logging, send them the logs and they will tweak the map and sent it back. I think he said they give about a week’s window for datalogging after the map has been purchased. The Key is to find software that will allow for datalogging on our ECU's... If there is loggers available for our ECU's PDX Tuning is a viable option. I would need to know what is going on under the hood, after the installation of a new map.
On the other hand a local ProTUNER quoted me $350 for a custom map. The pro tuner quoted me a very simular WHP, but a much lower Torque number (mabey he was just being consertative). The biggest difference is the map would then be tailored directly to your car, with at least two hours of in the seat time with a tuner vs. a slightly tweaked off the shelf map and $200 difference....That huge$$$ difference...

I am not sure wich would be better, but in both cases, I think the data logger is the key

·
Registered
169 Posts
Next Saturday I'm going to be installing a bunch of things on my car. One of which is the Cobb catted dp. I purchased maps from PDX for my setup and will post on how well they work (I will be monitoring my AP carefully, since no data logging software is available). And now to New Orleans for Vacation!! woot!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
have been looking for maps for our CRAPPY CA GAS. I think Perrin is still testing the 91oct map, unless that has changed in the last week or so
I talked to Jeff at Perrin earlier this week and he said they do have a 91 octane map but that it wasn't quite done. OR 91 octane is different from CA 91 octane so it's not tuned right for CA vehicles. Even so he thought it was much more aggressive than the off the shelf Cobb maps and safe to use.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
have been looking for maps for our CRAPPY CA GAS. I think Perrin is still testing the 91oct map, unless that has changed in the last week or so
I talked to Jeff at Perrin earlier this week and he said they do have a 91 octane map but that it wasn't quite done. OR 91 octane is different from CA 91 octane so it's not tuned right for CA vehicles. Even so he thought it was much more aggressive than the off the shelf Cobb maps and safe to use.
That is what I heard too, I have been email back and fourth with Ken @ Perrin... He said that they were actively producing a map for CA 91 oct even so...

I had purchased my AP through a Cobb local tuner. Since he has not seen a 08 wrx he agreed to do a few pulls on my car. We both got data logs off of the pulls. He was using pro tuner software, which is not available to the general public and cost about 3k to purchase... but I did get 6 pulls off of that session. 3 bone stock and 3 stage 1 pulls. There is not much difference between the stock and stage 1 on California… the off the shelf map on stage 1 just runs a lot safer. There is a way to get data logs, through protuner, but cobb will not release that software to the general public, and access tuner is not ready for the general public.

I am happy to share those logs with anyone that would like to see them... I will be out fora few hours, being that it is easter, but if if anyone wants to see them shoot me a pm, I will email them to you.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had mine Protuned finally because I didn't want to keep messing with those pills..

Anyway, and hour and a half on the dyno and $225 later.. here it is..

220awhp
240awtq

91 octane, 1800 ft, 81 degrees

red is baseline cobb stage 2 acn map
blue is protune

1 - 15 of 15 Posts