Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my springs arrived from sgp.com so i called the local subaru dealership "wakefield subaru" and they flat out told me they wouldnt install them and that if i did install them they would void my warranty on my struts!!
i called several dealerships around the country who are spt authorized dealerships and some agreed with wakefield subaru but most disagreed and said that this was not true! not really sure what to do now im going to go in there tomorrow and show them and tell them what ive found and see if they change their story.

just wondering what you guys' experience was

·
Registered
209 Posts
my Subaru dealership (Subaru Calgary) did the back 2 for me because i couldnt' get the nuts off haha, but they didn't say anything about me losing my warranty or other things like that.
I did the front 2 myself.
The parts are made by subaru, so it should not void your warranty to my knowledge.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If your talking Wakefield Subaru of MA I got a similar response when inquiring about an SPT, CBE.
Email Subarua of America and see what they tell you (you'll then have the response in writing). If you are in New England
there are quite a good number of other Subaru dealerships that will want your business, trust me.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I had to speak with the service manager directly, in person, for him to cover the pinks....mostly because it's not a big subaru dealership and they have probably sold less than ten 2008 imprezas, and as a result, they are not that knowledgeable about SPT stuff.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have called a few more local dealerships and it seems like soa is the next step prior to installation! i spoke with one spt authorized dealership and he told me all spt parts void the warrantee and anytime you "mess with suspension" its voided!! hahaha
i am going to email subaru of america right now and that should clear everything up! does anyone know a direct number to be able to get in touch with someone over there?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Directly from Subaru Drive Magazine:

"SOA and FHI don’t just choose an aftermarket company’s components and put SPT logos on them. The companies expend considerable resources to ensure that SPT parts pass certification regulations in all states, fit properly, and function as they’re intended. Extensive testing also ensures long-term reliability, enabling Subaru to cover them under factory warranty."

You should quote this if you get the runaround by SOA, hehe.

The STI pinks are produced by subaru itself...so there is no reason for them not to warranty it.

Parts not marked with asterisk(s) are covered by the Limited Warranty for Genuine Subaru Replacement Parts and Accessories.

Guess which springs DON'T have an asterisk!

http://www.subaru.com/microsites/spt/parts_select.sptmain?yearGroup=08-08&model=impreza

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well rallyshark you should enjoy this response then!!

i just got off of the phone with SOA speaking with a gentleman by the name of marlon he told me that these springs are considered racing/performance parts and there fore cannot be installed by a subaru dealership they are covered (the springs alone) by a one year parts warrantee however as soon as they are installed on the vehicle the warrantee on the struts is voided if it is determined that it was caused by performance springs even though (and i made sure to say this) they are a genuine subaru part

WTF why cant i just get one answer. this isnt going to stop me from installing them but i would like to know where i stand prior to installation

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
well rallyshark you should enjoy this response then!!

i just got off of the phone with SOA speaking with a gentleman by the name of marlon he told me that these springs are considered racing/performance parts and there fore cannot be installed by a subaru dealership they are covered (the springs alone) by a one year parts warrantee however as soon as they are installed on the vehicle the warrantee on the struts is voided if it is determined that it was caused by performance springs even though (and i made sure to say this) they are a genuine subaru part

WTF why cant i just get one answer. this isnt going to stop me from installing them but i would like to know where i stand prior to installation
Well, according to Subaru's own site, they are covered...

However, maybe subaru has had so many problems with these springs that they are cutting their losses and stopping coverage on the item, consumer be damned.

Who knows, I just have trouble believing it is a cut and dry answer when so many sources are saying so many different things...

Try contacting Jamie at subarugenuineparts.com. I bought my springs from her and she told me they'd be covered. Maybe you should ask her to call SOA for you and link to this thread. This is freakin weird.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey xaznx im definatly going to install the springs but you can get them from jamie and www.subarugenuineparts.com for less than 190 shipped to ma i just got them here on tuesday!

rallyshark i spoke with someone at chaplin subaru yesterday and they told me that they would not void the warrantee so maybe that is a good route to go have them talk to soa and maybe get me the answer in writing! its just bizarre that everyone i talk to within the subaru organization literally has a completely different answer!!

on a side not joey and xaznx with both you guys in ma (im in woburn) either of you interested in maybe helping me install these? i dont have a driveway or garage to do it so im hoping to be able to find someone with the "facilities" to make this install possible!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, it seems no matter who you talk to you get a different answer from. I looked into getting some "pinks" installed as well.
Bought my WRX thru Manchester Subaru NH. I got a price of $200 for the springs. It was the labor that killed the deal for me. Another $360 to install!! On a side note it would be nice to get a little New England meet put together. PM me when you get a chance. -JR

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a little ne meet does sound like a possibility.
i got a busy weekend but ill pm in the begining of the week!

·
Registered
30 Posts
You could also try contacting SOA Blog on, I can't believe I'm going to say this, NASIOC.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453607

I also ended up installing them myself and have not experienced any of the blown strut issues yet. The local service rep said that they were only covered if installed by Subaru. My question is, how well do they keep track of this. If I had it installed at another dealer in bumblef#*k Texas is it going to show up on their computers in Tysons, VA??? Do I have to show a receipt?? I'm screwed anyway because I am installing sways.

Also if you post on NASIOC be very careful about using the term "void your warranty". With all of their linguistics training the members are real sticklers about semantics and will automatically assume that you think that a claim denial on your suspension means that you are not covered on a defective AC unit. So make sure to say something like "claim denial". Happy posting.

·
Registered
502 Posts
on a side not joey and xaznx with both you guys in ma (im in woburn) either of you interested in maybe helping me install these? i dont have a driveway or garage to do it so im hoping to be able to find someone with the "facilities" to make this install possible!
I'd love to help but I live in a condo and they dont let anyone do any car work.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The latest Drive magazine from Subaru that I got, shows how to put the G*D D&MN things on, including torque specs and pictures. Along with the SPT cat back, lower chassis brace and front strut tower brace. That magazine is for Subie owners, not a pit crew. They have set themselves up if they are showing/encouraging how to put something on that voids a warranty.
http://www.driveperformancesubaru.com/version5_2/feature.asp

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
im going through hell about this whole thing atm. im going to be posting up a thread soon about what i have done and what others i have talked to including dealerships and SGP. so far i am up shits creek, but with the recent discovery of the drive magazine and there being no asterisks i think i have the edge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts