Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I got this car, I can't get any 2nd gen drivers to give me even so much as a nod. I always wave or nod at them, but it's like I'm invisible.

Heck the other night in Reno (when I was getting into town), I'm behind TWO 05+ STIs, and would have been more than happy to play. They freaking IGNORED me.

Tonight getting back into San Jose, again, I find an STI on the freeway... it's as if I wasn't there. Could WRXs, could be STIs... do they all hate us or something?

WTF?

Rob

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
yes, most of them they do hate the 3rd gen. go visit nasioc if you don't believe me. the only reason I've found is because the 3rd gen doesn't look as overtly aggressive as the 2nd gen. Many of them have crossed over and now like the 08/09's, but most of the others fail to remember that EVERY redesign of the 2nd gen was hated at first. I've gotten some love from 2nd gen'ers though, and I always give it back. Although, since I've been back in CO I haven't gotten any. There are SO many subarus here, and the vast majority of them, even wrx's, aren't driven by enthusiasts like they are in other parts of the country. Still, wrx's and imprezas are vastly outnumbered by outbacks and foresters. It doesn't really bother me, I got the car because I like the way it drives and I like the guts, not because I wanted attention from other suby owners. Still, I miss the suby wave a bit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i'm on the same page as chanke4252. i didn't get the car to try to become noticed or appear to be flashy. when i visited a local dealership to check out the 3g, i fell in love. i've gotten love from the 2nd gens that actually notice us. from what i've noticed, for the most part the people who don't give a wave or nod don't notice i'm there. especially with how quite i ride being stock. but i've come across a couple situations where i'm at a red light and the corner of my eye catches ecstatic suby waving. the love is still out there! i'd say another 6 months or so before we're easy to eye out.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
im almost on the same page i actualy get nods and waves from time to time but im in ME so its like the most subarus in usa all in this state

·
Registered
60 Posts
Being this is my first Subaru, i had no idea of the Suby wave ???. Back in the day when I owned a Vette it was common place to wave to other Vette owners regardless of the year of the car. So after getting a few waves from a few 2nd gen onwers I finally put 2 and 2 together.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
every modded WRX of any year look at me and most wave at me and something
the only hate is from nasioc, exept there i never felt any

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe it's a California thing then... lots of snobbery out here.

I've definitely felt the "hate" on NASIOC. That's why I spend far more time here. Heck, I posted about bumper removal over there and it was deleted within minutes by a moderator and I got slammed in a PM saying not to post that sort of thing because it's already been answered. I said gee, funny, I searched and there was nothing on the 08s. Didn't matter.

The simple fact that NASIOC hasn't reorganized to make space for the 3rd gens illustrates their position.

Rob

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
About the Nasioc thats kinda what you get on there there are so many people on there that dont even have subies any more and I will never be a part of that board there are better ones out there that you can ask any type of questions on and get viable answers on..

As for the being ignored but other gens I dont feel we do..
I have been to a lot of subie meets where I have been the only or one of a few 3g and its been fun.. maybe its an area deal..

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
It's 50/50 here in NY...Either 2G's ignore you completely or go all out with getting your attention :)

What's odd is I get a lot more waves from Legacys than WRX's, maybe it's because everyone and their mom knows a little about the WRX, but to be a legacy guru you have to have been around subaru for a while...Maybe I'm horribly wrong, but I didn't find out how insane a Spec B was until my brother got one last year.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I live in Utah and there is a huge fan base for Subaru and every person that has waved to me or a nod or anything has gotten one back. I am not the first to wave either. I normally only wave to ones that are modified as the rest of them will not notice you even if you do wave. My car is not stock and we have a club out here and when we get together I am in a limited group of people in a 3rd gen. We had a big meet last month and there was 3 of 92 cars. Not alot but everyone still showed lots of love to the 3rd gen. Just dont see too many of them yet..

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
i hot hate for the first few weeks at the local scooby meets, but then there after they all seem to want to play. The wave here in ct is more of a nod, or like the jeep wrangler hand thing.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I still get the Suby wave :)
Just not as much as before.
I am going for the benefit of the doubt that they look only through the corner of their eye and assume Mazda3 trying to wave to them.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I saw 2 3rd gens today, zero waving. 1 was a NA silver Impreza hatch, the other DGM STi..... the STi was too tinted so I wouldnt know if he waved or not. The NA Impreza just flew by me probbaly 75-80MPH, I was going ~60.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Just letting you all know that I flagged a second gen last night MY07 Stage 2 WRX just to say high I had a full 5 seats full of passengers. Guy tries to let me hear is BOV and popping exhausts with his "cool" flames from catless DP. I notice how bumpy his ride looks so he's probably running on coilovers. And takes he off on me, waits then does this thing again. I finally say screw it when he tries to do it again. Drop to third, pass him like he was a snail @ 90mph then I slow down. He passes, then gives me the bird. He continues to follow me afterwards so my passengers are getting creeped out. decide to exit at a little winding road I know of he still follows. So to hell with it I run the downhill. By the end of the run, I 180 and haul ass uphill pass him while he was still coming down and lost him, that was that. What a jerk.

Probably a newb thinking stage 2 + coils makes him unbeatable. The constant popping and flames makes me think he knows nothing about tuning and will most likely lose his engine sooner than later.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yeah i just think they are jealous of the heated seats they didnt get.....and or the dual exhuast you take your pick, sooner or later they will come around they all do. Every Suby i see here in KS gives the wave reguardless of the generation......to get others you mostly gotta stick out...like i have the lightning red with gold BBS, stock stright from the dealer, no one had ever seen that out here when i got it...

nonwaviers are either non enthusists, or just got the car cuz they needed something cumfy cozy....

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Yeah i just think they are jealous of the heated seats they didnt get.....and or the dual exhuast you take your pick, sooner or later they will come around they all do. Every Suby i see here in KS gives the wave reguardless of the generation......to get others you mostly gotta stick out...like i have the lightning red with gold BBS, stock stright from the dealer, no one had ever seen that out here when i got it...

nonwaviers are either non enthusists, or just got the car cuz they needed something cumfy cozy....
Side view pics? Always wondered what my car would've looked like with the gold :)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I got a wave from another guy in an 08 (I'd guess an 08 by wheel color anway)...he had a white 5 door with tints and red tails. It happend in Batavia, IL...I was in my silver 09 5 door, at the time with the white tails and no tints, I have both now.

That same day I saw a guy in a red 06-07 (peanut-eye?) wrx. I waved and he was staring at the car all ??? I think he was checking out the car and didn't notice, doubt if he even knew the etiquitte of "the wave".

BTW, God, I love this car.

joneSi

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
a silver 08 NA hatch was behind me. (I have a silver hatch as well) When he eventually passed me, I looked over, it was some mid aged guy, didnt pay me no attention.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts