Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So I've searched and searched for the answer to this question. I want to buy an 2008+ STi gauge cluster to put into my 2008 WRX. The plugs look the same, but I don't want to waste my money if it won't work. Has anyone done this or is there a DIY for this? I check every where. Even Nasioc. If anyone can head me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Kris

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
What's different about the cluster? I know there are the indicators for si drive but what else is different?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's different about the cluster? I know there are the indicators for si drive but what else is different?
Speedometer has 10 more MPH indicated. Rings around gauges have cherry blossom red on the inner part. Oh and there is an STI logo
Exactly. I just honestly like the way it looks. I hope someone knows.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, no one has done this. I might have to try. If it doesn't work it will be a costly failure.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Separate thought relating to this. If you did a 6sp swap with OEM DCCD, could you somehow plug it into an STI cluster to get the pretty lights?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Separate thought relating to this. If you did a 6sp swap with OEM DCCD, could you somehow plug it into an STI cluster to get the pretty lights?
This is actually my goal. To make an "08 STi.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Why not just make friends with some one with an STi, borrow their cluster and turn the car on. Just don't drive it with theirs in.

2008 had an STi, why make one when you could just trade for one? Cheaper that way. To each their own I guess. ::)

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Why not just make friends with some one with an STi, borrow their cluster and turn the car on. Just don't drive it with theirs in.

2008 had an STi, why make one when you could just trade for one? Cheaper that way. To each their own I guess. ::)
Not a sedan though

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Not a sedan though
Exactly. I got my car for cheap. I enjoy making it different. The '08 WRX is the unloved step child and I enjoy making it different. I know I'm putting a lot of money into it, but I'm doing it wisely and I'm always looking for deals.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think i read online somewhere that a sti cluster will work in a wrx. The harness that connects both is the same i beleive. The only issue is that when the new cluster is plugged in, the car wont start because of the immobilizer. The guy that did it had to have the dealership reprogram something to get the new cluster to work with the car and get it to start. I cant remember, but i also think the mileage is stored in the cluster too, which means the mileage might be incorrect also. And the speedo will be slightly off too because the sti has 10 more on the readout. It wouold cost money to do the swap if yuo wanted it done right. It would bother me that my speedo was off, as well as the mileage. You could install a speedo healer to fix the speedometer, and send the cluster to get the mileage changed, but it would be more of a pain to get basically the same thing you have now.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think i read online somewhere that a sti cluster will work in a wrx. The harness that connects both is the same i beleive. The only issue is that when the new cluster is plugged in, the car wont start because of the immobilizer. The guy that did it had to have the dealership reprogram something to get the new cluster to work with the car and get it to start. I cant remember, but i also think the mileage is stored in the cluster too, which means the mileage might be incorrect also. And the speedo will be slightly off too because the sti has 10 more on the readout. It wouold cost money to do the swap if yuo wanted it done right. It would bother me that my speedo was off, as well as the mileage. You could install a speedo healer to fix the speedometer, and send the cluster to get the mileage changed, but it would be more of a pain to get basically the same thing you have now.
Thank you very much for that info. I will look into it and ask my dealer about the programing. My friend can program the correct mileage. My car only has a little over 24,000 miles on it. I'm getting an 2011 STi cluster. I also got the STi shifter trim and the STi hazard button and HVAC controls . I'm excited.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm wondering if you can unplug the mileage display and swap it to the new cluster. I know on my Camaro you could swap the odometers and it would read correct.
I don't think so. I looked at the cluster when I install my SPT boost gauge and it seems as if it's all sealed.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
the mileage display is a small pixel board. it is not hot-swappable and does not hold any data. the mileage is not "transferable" by switching clusters.

edit: as evidenced by the cluster being out and showing mileage, the mileage seems to be stored outside of the ECU/BIU and on the "brain board" as some call it on the cluster. i'll see about getting mine apart again and determining if the display is also a microprocessor of sorts. perhaps, there is more to this. i think most have always thought the mileage count was stored in the ECU.

the clusters come apart easily:

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
kpwrx - it's been a while since you posted you were getting the 11MY cluster...did it arrive yet?

i have one arriving within a week with a bunch of other 08 STI drivetrain parts for my r180/5x100 hybrid axles. i'll be sure to post up but wanted to see if you had any update with your attempt.

thanks!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts