Subaru WRX Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
swapped them today and no dice. lights up and presents miles from the other vehicle but start circuit is disabled (my theory) and disables starting/cranking of the vehicle.

i'll break out the FSM pages tonight and figure it out, if there is a solution.

now that i've seen the STI cluster in my hood, i will find a way to make this work. seems rather plusible to manipulate the diff lock bars to function with my dccdpro and the STI light and higher MPH looks nice.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
kpwrx - it's been a while since you posted you were getting the 11MY cluster...did it arrive yet?

i have one arriving within a week with a bunch of other 08 STI drivetrain parts for my r180/5x100 hybrid axles. i'll be sure to post up but wanted to see if you had any update with your attempt.

thanks!
Sorry guys. I haven'y had a chance to get the cluster. I'm saving for my STi wing. I ca't wait to see your cluster Monkiboy!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think the only way to get new cluster to fire up car is to have dealer program new cluster, its the Immobilizer that causes new cluster to not correspond to car.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
I think the only way to get new cluster to fire up car is to have dealer program new cluster, its the Immobilizer that causes new cluster to not correspond to car.
where are you seeing that in the FSM wiring diagrams? so the combination meter's microcomputer is looking for the key chip of it's original car, and it needs to be programmed to accept my existing key chip? what if i also had the keys from the car i parted my STI cluster from, simple key chip swap?

i have access to a subaru select monitor so perhaps this will be rather straight-forward if your thoughts are correct and that's all there is to it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i dont have a fsm, i was looking into doing the cluster swap a few months ago. i found a thread on another site where a guy was able to have the dealer program the new sti cluster to his car. he said it took 10 min, and then the car started right up. i also have a vw, and the process is similar, except its easier for the subarus.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
checked out the FSM some more tonight and in a different section, specifically IDI-16 "instrumentation and driver info" it states:

"When the combination meter of model with immobilizer has been replaced, be sure to perform the registration of immobilizer."

also, the DTC triggered with the STI cluster P0513/P1578 indicates the need for reprogramming so looks like the subaru select monitor is the way to go!

still have to figure out the mileage and if that is also changed via the SSM tool or if i need to outsource that to a company for completion.

i should have this wrapped up in the next week or so and will post up accordingly!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I can't wait!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
got an appointment set to get the car married to the new cluster and reprogram with my car's code. i'll update soon!

also, i got a few 08+ STI clusters left in my parts closet for anyone interested in the swap but not interested in paying $texas for new - let me know.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
all worked out well! swapped the 08 STI cluster in today...

takes maybe ten minutes with the SSM. miles were not reprogrammed nor is one able to. i didn't have enough time to toy around with the SSM like i wanted to for confirmation so i officially added ~6k miles to my car today ;D

kind of odd actually, i did the swap with exactly 49,000 on the original and swapped to 55,555. the good thing is now both work in my car in case i need to swap for whatever reason.

the tpms light, rear diff temperature light, and s-drive lights are on.

tpms light will be fixed with my posted diy solution, the rear diff temperature light i plan to find the harness or wire up to the temp sensor in the jdm v8 r180 i'm installing tomorrow, and the s-drive light can be terminated via grounding it out so i'll drop an extra pin into the empty harness slot and do so.

talking to jeff reid of dccdpro to see if he has or can make a small controller or board to take the signal from the dccd controller and output to the GR cluster. he's done it for previous gens and i am hopeful he's got a solution for me.

all in all, very happy with this. looks great, it's different/unique, got a shifter light/buzzer and i'm always happy to guinea pig a new mod when i can for the community and broaden the accurate information base.

i still do have two GR clusters for those interested. lots of PMs but no payments ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
i don't know if i really care as i'm never selling my car but i might do this down the road as it might begin to irritate me...i called a few shops that can take care of the mileage change for you.

the best rate i found is from "tacoma speedometer" http://www.tacomaspeedometer.com. spoke to the tech dennis and he said he gets it done the same day. there is a programming board on the cluster he taps into and has a custom programmer (pricey!) that he uses to alter the data sequence for the correct mileage to be reprogrammed.

they ask for a photo of your original cluster and its mileage, a photo of your VIN from the door jamb and your POC information. cost is $85 + shipping. they are located in WA.

there's only one other place i would trust in the six that i reached out to and their actually local and am waiting for a quote. i'll post up here when i hear back.

good thing is that my other cluster is still good to use so i can swap that one, send the STI, and just hot-swap when the STI comes back!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Awesome Monki! I can't wait to do this!

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
in looking through the FSM and the work involved for the rear diff temp sensor, i decided not to pursue it. so i blocked off that light and the tpms much the same as shown in the "better tpms solution" DIY. then, did the same for the si-drive light. much cleaner and so nice!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Awesome job Monki - I can't believe you figured it out! Looks killer. I'm sure kpWRX has been waiting with baited breath for you to figure this out. :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Awesome job Monki - I can't believe you figured it out! Looks killer. I'm sure kpWRX has been waiting with baited breath for you to figure this out. :)
Yes I have! I can't wait to do this! WOOT!!

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
two have been sold, only one STI cluster left for those that have been PM'ing. glad to help out anyone looking for one!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts