Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought the factory subaru sat nav set up off a guy from the states! Im very excited and all that.. but I just got told that it might not work.. why not?
I know I will need the aussie DVD's.. any other problems anyone can think of? Seriously none I hope cause this is like my biggest overseas purchase ever.. awaiting your barrage of comments :)
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yEAH i HAVE TO BUY THE dISCS FROM oops caps lock.. yeah I have to contact WHEREIS for the nav discs.. like $300 bucks.. but other than that it should be ok I hope!! Oh man.. I am a bit nervous...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
It obviously depends on what hardware was included with your purchase. Most OEM nav's aren't plug and play on cars that didn't come with them though.

The guy you bought it from probably just unplugged it all and sent the unit on it's way, though his car probably has a few more inputs that go into the headunit than yours will. From what I've seen in the few instances I've taken an OE nav unit out of a dash, and following other people's projects (on non-subaru cars) to install OEM nav systems, there is usually a completely different wiring harness that needs to be spliced in to, or wired to replace your oe harness. Also, from my experience with the non-nav WRX's audio system, there are no inputs that support GPS features in the cars that didn't come with them, and the OE wire harness only includes inputs for audio features. You will obviously need a GPS antenna as a GPS unit cannot function without one.

Although, I've never taken the OEM nav unit out of the 08+ wrx's and looked at it, so it MIGHT be incredibly simple and work great, who knows (but if I had to guess based on any OEM nav unit I've ever seen, investigated, I would say this probably won't be the case). I mean Subaru is usually really good about their ultra-comprehensive wiring and there is a LOT of unused wiring present in our cars that supports features that come with other trims that are more or less plug and play (steering wheel controls, tweaters, fog lights, brake lights, etc).

Either way, I would seriously consider canceling your purchase and going with something aftermarket to avoid many of the VERY probable headaches as it was probably at least a few hundred dollars for you to buy and it seems like a pretty big investment for a long-shot, unless you are really good with electrical stuff.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those wondering, I took it to Subaru tyesterday and got my car baclk today. No luck and it cost me $200 bucks for the bad news. It wont work without the harness!!!!!! *above/\.
This guy I bought it off ebay from is trying to say that it *doesnt need a harness now and that he could instal it if it was possible.
He's also trying to tell me to relist the item.. yeah right! I specifically asked him if it will work in Australia, he replied it "will work fine" and Subaru have stated that it WILL NOT work in Aust. They have given me a written letter too.
Oh well it was worth a shot. I hope this guy doesnt get ugly cause hes trying to get technical on me with comments like "its works - thats what I promised".. its like dude, but not like you said it would!!
some people...
I know it would have been nice though.
Im giving it one more shot though with my car audio guy who does all the biggest cars at the Big audio shows... he said if he cant get it - no one can...
PS Subaru also said the Harness you need is only available with buying this whole kit which seller on ebay denies being in existence.,....

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Good luck hope everything works out for you, I be that sucker was quite pricey.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
That's too bad. Maybe look into a better dealer who knows a bit more about wiring that stuff and is willing to work on it with you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts