Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I would pass smog if I get a catless down pipe, up pipe and cat back exhaust. I am most interested in Perrin performance parts, thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
it depends on where you live and your local laws... In CA, I don't think that we have to get a smog for 8 years, because it is a new vehical. If you are in CA with a Catless DP, probably not.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I live in cali. But if I dont get a smog for 8 years its not a big deal. so the only cats are on the down pipes (pipes meaning front and rear of the down pipe)?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Ya I live in cali. But if I dont get a smog for 8 years its not a big deal. so the only cats are on the down pipes (pipes meaning front and rear of the down pipe)?
I would double check the laws, but I am about 99% sure that it is 8 years until we need a smog. I have only seen two cats between the DP Pipe back, but for some reason I am thinking that there is a cat on the up too.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the 09's have no cat on the up pipe im not to sure about the 08's.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
There's 2 cats in the DP and no cat in the up pipe. If you are catless you will fail smog. In CA they do a visual inspection before the test and if anything has been modified at all you fail right away. I thought it was 5 years before your first smog check but I might be wrong.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's 2 cats in the DP and no cat in the up pipe. If you are catless you will fail smog. In CA they do a visual inspection before the test and if anything has been modified at all you fail right away. I thought it was 5 years before your first smog check but I might be wrong.
Wow. Good think its something that will only need to be dealt with every 5 or so years.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
get it and in 5 yrs or whenever it is when you need your first smog test put it back to stock... i mean 5 yrs from now who knows if you will still even have the car :) (i change cars way to often to think 5 yrs from now lol)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have only had a smog test once. I think after a certain time depending on the car you have. You have to present a passed smog test in order to renew your registration. I think that is how it works but I am not posative

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
How do you know when you have to get a smog check? Are you sent a notice?
Yep it is in with your reg renewal that you get every year... one year (Either five or eight years out) it will be a required item for renewal...

I can't remember where I read it but I still think it is eight years a smog cert required for renewal. Even it it is five years it is still a long time...

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
If you are in So CA its a big red flag not to do catless as the CHP runs around with portable smog devices and pull people over for random checks from time to time.
I know of many that have fallen prey to this. Regardless of how new your car is, if you get caught with this = state ref time :-\

1 - 13 of 13 Posts