Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are quite a lot of ppl in my area selling off their Red WRX stock brake kits/ calipers taken from their 06, 07 rex. Will these fit on our new WRX? Can we just get their calipers and fit on our existing rotors?

I don't really have any problem with my current brakes, but they do look "unimpressive". Why is it that the older wrx comes stock with the strikingly-nice 4/2 red brake calipers, while our newer wrx comes with smaller 2/1 ones?

I feel so short-changed. :mad:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree... Last years brakes were very nice and sporty looking. This years are just bland. Thought about painting them, but it doesnt even seem worth it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
front fits nicely, rear needs some modification. in fact already saw a 1.5R fitted with the red wrx brake kit of the previous gen. anyway stock brake is good enough for daily driving.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So does that mean that for my front wheels, I only need to bolt on the old rex caliper, and I can still use back my original new rotors?

And that for rear wheels, I have to change both my calipers and rotors to the old rex ones?

The reason I'm asking is that those 2nd hand subaru 4/2 pot brake kits may have badly worn out rotors, so if possible, i would rather use my own stock ones on the new 08 wrx.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the front rotors are larger on the 06/07 models. everything will bolt right up, but you'll have to get 06/07 pads and 06/07 rotors to work with the 06/07 red 4-pot calipers.

the rear rotors are the same but the rear calipers won't fit anyway unless you fab a new knuckle setup using a mix of both parts (we have a different rear setup than any previous years).

if I was made of money I'd go and figure this out myself but I can't do this on a daily driver. maybe someone else can take the dive for all of us? I'd love to get nicer looking brakes.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh dear, I'm glad I didn't go ahead and purchase one of those used ones then. Else I would have been stuck with a rear caliper that wouldn't fit. Thanks for the info man.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It won't be long until someone makes a retro fit kit for the rear (if it hasn't already)

So does that mean that for my front wheels, I only need to bolt on the old rex caliper, and I can still use back my original new rotors?

And that for rear wheels, I have to change both my calipers and rotors to the old rex ones?

The reason I'm asking is that those 2nd hand subaru 4/2 pot brake kits may have badly worn out rotors, so if possible, i would rather use my own stock ones on the new 08 wrx.
Also if changing the fronts out I would be putting on new rotors and pads anyway.

·
Registered
646 Posts
the fronts would really be all that you would need, just change the lines pads and rotors to and itd stop on a dime

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the fronts would really be all that you would need, just change the lines pads and rotors to and itd stop on a dime
technically your only advantage would be from better pads and lines... the older calipers perform equally to the newer ugly ones.

I'm only going to do this if I either win the lottery (I never play) or find them on a car in a junk yard.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I wonder how much more (if any) the late model rotors and calipers weigh than ours. This "upgrade" could be a downgrade if they are significantly heavier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts