Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, has anyone tinted their 08 WRX 4-door (DIY)??? I ordered a complete pre-cut kit from eBay. Was it difficult to install on the rear window (piece, heat shrink)? I don't want to f*** it up, and I am wondering if I should even try (DIY). Thanks

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
IMO your asking for trouble. How much did you pay for the pre cut set? was it a lot cheaper than just going to a shop to have them do it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I paid 24.99 for the 7-piece kit and 12.99 for some installation tools. I paid a lot for just two windows in my blazer, and I have no idea how much it would cost to do all the windows in the WRX.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
All i can say is that id rather have somone ells do my tint. I want to make sure that the entire window is coverd and it wont bubble or peal. But thats just me. Good luck on the DIY, I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Never done it myself. It doesn't look too hard to do, but well, I've NEVER known anyone to do their own. Ever. So maybe thats my clue.

YMMV, so give it a shot and keep us updated! :eek:

·
Registered
949 Posts
I know a few people that have done it themselves. It can be a big PITA if you really dont know what your doing. Getting all the bubbles out is the most annoying. I went to a place that does detailing/ remote starter install/ window tiniting and I got an estimate from them. He took a look at the car and told me $175. Not too bad for 5 windows. But good luck dude. If you get a chance try and snap some pics. Itd be a good DIY to look up for when others wanna give it a shot. Lemme know how it comes out!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
youtube has some good videos for DIY window tinting. FYI

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I paid $150 cash! Wellllllll worth it!!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sell that home kit back on Ebay and pay a shop to do it. It'll be have a lifetime warranty and be done properly....well worth the $200

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Sell that home kit back on Ebay and pay a shop to do it. It'll be have a lifetime warranty and be done properly....well worth the 0
You can try it yourself, but just be aware that you will need a heat gun as well. Also, you will likely need to redo at least one window because of a screw up or if a piece of sand or dirt gets between the film and the window.

Even if you clean your windows well beforehand, just stuff floating in the air gets in there. If I were to do it myself, i'd get the un-precut ones so there is some margin for error.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Soapy water is your friend!! Start in the center and work your way out ;) With the tint!! lol...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I paid 140 for them to strip my factory tint and have them put on limo all the way around....its worth it because if you start getting bubbles or something.....that really sucks

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Theres also a few good tint shops in the cherryhill area. Since your from downingtown you might want to look up Shades Of Gray ( free plug, heard nothing but good things about them). There in P.a.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
There is Precision tint in Concord, Ca. I paid 175 to have 5 windows tinted... Got a life time warrenty on materials and installation. If it fades, bubbles, peels, cracks... anything happens to the tint it will be replaced for free.
IMO as a DYI I wouldn't take the chance, but bottom line if you don't like it you can always take it off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info. Too bad I didn't find this forum earlier. Shades of Gray quoted $180 for all seven and that sounds pretty good :) Thanks for the referral TKBIGS 8)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts