Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is anybody experiencing a haze that appears on your windshield and actually pretty much the front driver and pass windows? i've had my car for 7 months and i've cleaned it 4 times and nobody has ever smoked in it, just wondering if anybody else was getting that SH;T

·
Registered
51 Posts
YES - and I have no idea what could be doing it. I also, am non- smoking/eating/nose-picking/ANYTHING in my car. suggestions, anyone? Is there some kind of residue forming from the air cleaning system? ???

·
Registered
700 Posts
i am a smoker and its not smoking that does it. newer cars do it mostly. it comes from the dash and door panels. dunno what it is. learned about it in lincoln tech

·
Registered
169 Posts
The same thing happened with my 05 Legacy and now happens with my wrx. I usually give it a long sleeve shirt cleaning at a stop light.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
it's the freshly made plastics in the dash giving off vapor

it'll stop eventually

in the meantime, just clean it off

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah. That's it. Saturn nailed it.
It's the solvent put in the propylene oxide during manufacturing to make them more pliable and soft. Makes you car easier to put together initially. It also gives you that wonderful new car scent. Nothing like hydrocarbon to get you up in the morning. That's why the old dashes on tons of cars are cracked as hell from being in the sun. The sun heats the plastic, solvent wants to leave and the vacated space in the plastic either get filled with surrounding plastic, cracking the dash, or remains in the plastics making it brittle.
Sorry...
That turned into "How It's Made" really fast...

Rock on.

Kenny

·
Registered
327 Posts
F'ing love How It's Made BTW. Best show on TV
How it's made FTW!!!! ;D I haven't noticed that haze yet, hopefully I won't. Good to know it's a problem that will solve itself.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hey after a few debate with my dealer they finally agreed to tell me they knew about the windshield being hazy and it's suppose to come from the manufacturer so next week they'll wipe it out for me, they said it might take a few shots ;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Good old formaldehyde going vapor and condensing on the glass. That is if it doesn't find its way to your lungs...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've been noticing this lately and it bugs the hell out of me! Glad to know I'm not the only one though.

·
Registered
206 Posts
i just spent about 15-20 mins trying to clean my window because of that haze. i even used an anti fog solution on it but that seemed to make things worse. bugs the hell out of me.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
same here.happened last winter.now its back again.can keep it clean.any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
the guy at the dealer told me that the stuff was made by armor all, I'll keep you informed and aso it's supossed to be stuck inside the glass pores so it is said that it might take a few shots

·
Registered
382 Posts
Try Stoners glass cleaner. Works well for me, just spray on to a wipe and then rub, don't get it on your dash.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Stoner's Invisible Glass ftw! Go with the aerosol can, works a little better for some reason. Newspaper or coffee filters work a bit better than cloth or paper towels (they leave a lot less fiber on the windshield). That'll get rid of the fog about 100% after 2 passes (after the first pass, it will be abundantly clear what you missed....thus the 2nd pass).

All that being said....you have cleaned the fog but it will eventually come back until your plastics stop venting VOC's. I too keep a microfiber cloth in my door for when it really pisses me off.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
hey new developpements in here, yesterday when I went to the dealer for my oil change they told me that subaru had released a new service bulletin about that and sent some Subaru made car wax, they found out the problem came from the rubbers and not the windshield itself as previously belived so they washed it and applied the wax to the inside of the windshield, as of now it works great it's awsome to see clearly through a window :D ;D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts