Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving through a snowstorm last night and 2 weeks ago and I got to see how the windshield wiper de-icer works. I noticed that some of the snow doesn't completely melt off and it becomes ice when the de-icer goes off. As a result the ice sticks to the wiper blades and this chunk of ice is dragged with the blades as they wipe the windshield. I guess you have to keep putting the de-icer on to avoid this. I thought the de-icer would be more efficient. Anybody else notice this?

Also, the same button for the de-icer is for the rear window defrost. I think they should have made 2 seperate buttons. There's no point in having the rear window defrost on or the de-icer on if one is not needed.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I was driving through a snowstorm last night and 2 weeks ago and I got to see for the how the windshield wiper de-icer works. I noticed that some of the snow doesn't completely melt off and it becomes ice when the de-icer goes off. As a result the ice sticks to the wiper blades and this chunk of ice is dragged with the blades as they wipe the windshield. I guess you have to keep putting the de-icer on to avoid this. I thought the de-icer would be more efficient. Anybody else notice this?
Use some wiper fluid if you want to prevent ice from forming. Otherwise, you will get ice as a function of it being cold with melted water on the blade...

Also, the same button for the de-icer is for the rear window defrost. I think they should have made 2 seperate buttons. There's no point in having the rear window defrost on or the de-icer on if one is not needed.
It would cost more. It would be more complicated for some people. In >50% of the time you'll want both on anyway. It does no harm for it to be on.

·
Registered
954 Posts
rear window defroster and wiper de-icer is also heated mirror control, just thought id throw that in there

·
Registered
752 Posts
i turn on the de-frost, the heat, heated seat, and go scrape the windows with my ice scraper.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
My heated are alway on at high and i turn on the all defrost and each time it turn off i turn it back on ;D

·
Registered
67 Posts
if you read the owners manual there's a way to make it stay on constantly, but I'm not running out into the cold to go get it :D

I've got a problem where my passenger wiper doesn't align with the heating element, it sits above it. I need to bring it in and have em fix it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got a problem where my passenger wiper doesn't align with the heating element, it sits above it. I need to bring it in and have em fix it.
Mine is the same way. I checked every other WRX at the dealer and they were all that way. I chalked it up to another quirk that makes a Subaru, a Subaru. ::)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts