Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm researching now to find an idea on what to do with winter. I want to get an extra set of rims/tires that I can slap on during the winter and then slap the A/S back on for the rest of the year. What do you guys reccomend for a good, reliable winter tire, preferrably $150 or under a piece. Also, I don't care about looks for the rims, they are going to get beat up with salt anyways, anyone have a suggestion for a cheap rim(doesn't have to be 17"). I was kinda of thinking about going with steelies(I know that would look bad) but some really aggressive tires. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I have a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50's. They are awesome in the snow, though they have pretty bad treadwear I've heard. Mine are ok, though I don't have a ton of miles on them, about a season and a half. I promise you'll never get stuck in the snow with them though.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any suggestions on where to get them from? I have never bought a seperate set of tires for the winter....heck, this will be my first winter in an AWD car(really looking forward to it!) Well OK I had a GSX but that was broke more than it was out in the snow.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I got Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D - 205/50VR17 last november to get rid of the crappy OEM
love them, was the best deal around on performance winter last summer i think, dunno about current price

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I prefer discount tire. They tend to have pretty good service from what I've seen, and their prices aren't the worst thing ever. Plus there are a lot of them around. Take a look at tirerack as well as they have a lot of info and reviews of various tires. I always start there when looking for a new tire. Though, ordering from them might be a pain if you end up getting a bad tire or something.

You might also consider something like the Nokian WR, which is a really more of a wintery all-season, but has pretty good treadwear characteristics considering, and it also has outperformed some actual snows in certain tests. I'm probably going to get something like a Nokian WR for my winter wheels this time around as I don't need the crazy grip the Blizzaks have in the snow.

I've heard good things about the Dunlop tire that Courteau mentioned as well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I actually found a package on tirerack for winter tires...what happens if you don't install the TPMS sensors? Do you just get the low air light on the dash? Any other negative effects? Is it necessary(it's an additional $172....I plan to just throw the tires on steel rims so...)?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Nope, no other problems other than the light. I'm waiting for someone to figure out how to disable it. I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to just tape the bulb , or actually get another set of TPMS sensors. I'd prefer not to have to get the sensors since they are worthless to me, but I may have to.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I got Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D - 205/50VR17 last november to get rid of the crappy OEM
love them, was the best deal around on performance winter last summer i think, dunno about current price
+1 The winter sports are great tires. i'm pretty sure they'll outperform the stockers in the dry as well :) they're pretty cheap too, around $100/tire for that size i believe

and like chanke said, the only problem is the light. i don't have tpms sensors on now, i just live with the light.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I only run on Blizzaks but that's due to living on ice for 6 months of the year. Currently I have 1 TPMS missing and I still have yet to get a light from it :D I how ever do have it sitting right next to me waiting to be installed, I plan on just leaving it till I put winters on.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
that is what i am running for winter boots too. on the stock rims of course. good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just bought a set of the Hankook W300's on a set of 16" cheapo winter alloys. Looking forward to winter! Can't wait to try them out.

A buddy of mine runs them as well (but in 17") and he loves them. We'll see how I like them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another vote for Blizzaks ,just getem off as soon as good weather comes!!! My Titan also has TPMS system and Nissan gives you a fullsize aluminum spare when ive rotated the non -TPMS Tire/rim in I get NO lite until I drive 40 miles straight without shutting truck off..But the tires with the sensors still work..First really cold day it went off and all tires were @ 28psi Supposed to be 35...pumped them up and lite went out.. Bottom line I wouldnt spend much money on sensors for aftermarket rims... get to know the way your car feels the TPMS is meant more for the wife...ooopps

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I didn't even know what the TPMS light was until it lit up one day

I also noticed the tires seemed low and when the light disappeared after I filled up the tires I put 2 and 2 together lol

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i love my canadian spec WRX with no TPMS ! :D

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
stupid US laws that make it so idiots can drive cars...

TPMS, TCS, etc...

at least I can talk on my cellphone and take a nap while I'm driving, thanks US-spec!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts

TPMS, TCS, etc...

at least I can talk on my cellphone and take a nap while I'm driving, thanks US-spec!
me if i got caught on the phone while driving its 3 points + 153$

and not just driving, to use your mobile in your car in quebec you need to park de car and remove the key from the starter.. if the car is running and your toutching the phone you loose points !

·
Registered
537 Posts

TPMS, TCS, etc...

me if i got caught on the phone while driving its 3 points + 153$

and not just driving, to use your mobile in your car in quebec you need to park de car and remove the key from the starter.. if the car is running and your toutching the phone you loose points !
Really?? Is this a new law. I need to remember that next time I'm in Quebec. I live in Ottawa and as far as I know we don;t have this law yet but I have read about it coming to Ontario.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts