Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently finished changing out my springs, endlinks and sways. I also installed a rear sway brace (all from Whiteline). The car is totally different and after going for a spirited cruise through some winding country roads with 65 other WRXs last weekend, it handled very well and kept up with no problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
What kind of sways did you get? I just installed my sways and endlinks and I noticed alot of noise....just wondering if I was the only one.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of sways did you get? I just installed my sways and endlinks and I noticed alot of noise....just wondering if I was the only one.
It was all from Whiteline. No noticeable change in noise. Did your sways come with lateral locks to stop them moving sideways?

·
Registered
577 Posts
i have also noticed a lot of noise at slow speeds. not creaking but like a cruchy sound.
-sorry to jack-

the car looks sweet! really digging it!

·
Registered
327 Posts
i have also noticed a lot of noise at slow speeds. not creaking but like a cruchy sound.
-sorry to jack-

Yea they came with lateral locks. I didnt put them right up against the bushing, I remember reading that there is supposed to be a tiny bit of space between the locks and the bushing. Its not a creaking sound, just like something hanging loose?
*end of thread stealing*
Car looks awesome, I love the OBP!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
-sorry to jack-

Yea they came with lateral locks. I didnt put them right up against the bushing, I remember reading that there is supposed to be a tiny bit of space between the locks and the bushing. Its not a creaking sound, just like something hanging loose?
*end of thread stealing*
Car looks awesome, I love the OBP!
Thanks for the comments and don't mind the questions. How you have installed the lateral locks is fine. Recommend you jack the car up and check to see if anything is binding when you turn the steering or compress the springs. With uprated springs and swaybars the car is more connected to the ground, but no noises like something is hanging loose. The spherical endlinks should be basically vertical when the car is at rest (car not on stands) to ensure they have the maximum range of movement when the car is in motion. Do not tighten the bolts until it is sitting on the ground (or if your lucky on a lift). The sway bars should also not be preloaded. FYI if you lower the car too much (mine is 20mm from standard but they have a spring set that is 40mm) it can effect the roll centre and suspension geometry of the car. Whiteline actually have a kit to fix this.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yea I did the work on a lift. I drove it around for about 25 minutes prior to this though with no noise. Unfortunatly I basically just drove it from shop to work. I"ll have to tinker with it tomorrow when I get a few minutes. I KNOW for a fact everything is tight, like I said I had a buddy help me(he's a mechanic, hence why I got to use the lift) and we torqued everything to spec and double checked everything. The car still drove/handled normal, so it must just be settling. One thing I didn't do was grease the outside of the bushing that sits against the bracket. ???

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just drove the car again and it's still there. It sounds like a flat tire basically. I know everything was tightened to spec and everything still looks the way it did when I finished working on it...any ideas? I am worried that I'm doing damage at this point to the car. For some reason the last few mods I've attempted have failed. I bought H9 bulbs and it burned out after 5 minutes...bought HIR bulbs, couldn't get it to fit for the life of me, and then it slipped outta my hands and exploded. And the SPT exhaust being on hold...UGH! I should just sell the WRX now while I'm ahead. :D :mad: :'(

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DougieFresh82 - Did not get the roll centre kit, as I only dropped it 20mm which has not change the alignment of the arms that much. I installed a rear sway brace though, as going from 15mm to the centre point on the adjustable 20mm is approx 230% increase in stiffness. SleepingWRX - You only need to greese the area between the swaybar and the poly bush, not the bracket as that part does not move. I would get the help of your mechanic friend again and try to isolate when the noise happens, as the sways only come into play when the suspension is being loaded by cornering or uneven roads (tight spherical endlinks can also cause some noise until they loosen up). If you drive it down a smooth straight road and it sounds like a flat tire, it could be something else. Arr the joys of working on cars. When I was upgrading my springs, three went in without a problem, but the front right decided it would grow a inch and boy did I have a job getting it in. Had to set up two car stands with a metal bar across them under the strut and then lower the car to push up the strut and align it to the brake arm. Gives you great satisfaction when it is all done though, but be aware of your experience and limitations, as I also had a couple of bolts on the suspension struts that required a impact driver to get them off. I did not worry about the SPT exhaust (not available in AUS anyway) just had a custom catback made for $180 fitted. It is not stainless, but sounds the business (without being too loud) and looks standard (big fart cans just attracts the wrong people). Good luck.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm going to have to double check those fronts. I wonder if the torque wrench popped beause it felt enough resistance(it was tough to unscrew the nut on the end of the endlink.) And maybe it wasn't all the way tightened down before getting torqued? I have the AVO front endlinks from RalliTEK. It's only sometimes when turning, and so far also over bumps.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Looks good man!

Whiteline is too damn expensive in the states. There are other identical bars for -30 less.
I don't know about that. The closest I see is perrin, and they have had their fair share of problems with swaybar fitment. I ordered some perrin bars, which will be getting here this week, though after doing a little reading I have decided to return them ASAP. In the meantime I have ordered a set of Whiteline fixed bars and endlinks. I'd like to get their springs at some point, hopefully they'll be sold in the states at some point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts