Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 08 WRX that i can barely afford ($436/mnth, 169/mnth ins.). I came across an 07 WRX TR with an aftermarket exhaust, DP, Pulley, Intercooler, turbo timer, Cobb AP, short throw, and CD player with sub. It has 56, 000 miles on it, 1 owner, clean Carfax. The dealership's inspection report says that the exhaust manifold is a "concern" along with the clutch (which I noticed on a test drive). The interior is a little dirty but the car is mean - Silver with black wheels maxxis tires, red calipers. It is selling for 17,900 which would put my payments at $300/mnth and probably less insurance. Am i asking for trouble with a car like this with the miles? or is it worth it to have all the goodies? what would you do???

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Not so much a car with that many miles, as it has obviously been abused...

You don't know if the tranny is in good shape, engine, etc...

If the clutch is about to go that's a sign that the owner was hard on it...

You might save money now, but you'll pay in the end if you've got to fix it...

If it were babied and in good shape, the decision would be up to you still...

If it saves you money and puts you in a better spot financially it probably would have been worth it...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Not so much a car with that many miles, as it has obviously been abused...

You don't know if the tranny is in good shape, engine, etc...

If the clutch is about to go that's a sign that the owner was hard on it...

You might save money now, but you'll pay in the end if you've got to fix it...

If it were babied and in good shape, the decision would be up to you still...

If it saves you money and puts you in a better spot financially it probably would have been worth it...
+1

This car could be trouble. If the clutch is iffy, and the exhaust manifold could be a problem (and without changing those things out at the dealer), AND the interior is in not so great shape? I say no way. The car is ~2 years old. That is a lot of miles for a not so old car, AND to have the problems with it unless it was beat up. I simply would ask myself this: "If it has 56k on it. That sounds mostly like Highway miles. Not bad...but then how do you fry the clutch on the Highway?" I don't know that I would want to know the answer to that.

Also, 17.9k seems like a lot, IMO. I would try to think of the car as having nothing under the hood. How much would you pay then? I say that because the dealer likely didn't give the previous owner any more money because of the mods, so you shouldn't pay the dealer for them either.

I think in the long run, that car may end up costing you more than you want in big chunks. Maybe not as much total as your 08...but still a lot.

joneSi

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like it wasn't taken care of, I had an 8 year old modded RS in better condition than what you describe of the 2 year old WRX.

Having a warranty for random crap happening is worth alot.

-The exhaust manifold being iffy could cause burnt valve issues depending on what is wrong with it.

-The clutch going could indicate hard launching which puts stress on alot of parts all over the car.
(If you know that the clutch has not ever been replaced and the car is on the first clutch, then around 60k miles isn't TOO bad for clutch life if driven spiritedly, but if it's been already replaced, then I'd stay away).

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I'm sure you could find an 06 or 07 in better shape than that for about the same $$. I am pretty much always against buying modded cars, though as long as the car is still on the stock turbo and was taken care of I might consider it. Still, if the clutch is going, as others have said, it is a sign of how the car was treated. Unless the car was repeatedly launched, there is no reason why you can't expect the clutch to last a lot longer than that. I'd say stay away from it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks people! I guess i already knew it wasnt the best idea but had to hear it from somebody else. A buddy of mine also said something that nailed it... I like my virgins, why would you want something thats already been tore up?!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I am pretty much always against buying modded cars, though as long as the car is still on the stock turbo and was taken care of I might consider it. Still, if the clutch is going, as others have said, it is a sign of how the car was treated. Unless the car was repeatedly launched, there is no reason why you can't expect the clutch to last a lot longer than that. I'd say stay away from it.
+1 looking at the mod list and 'minor troubles' it's a sign of how the car was treated. And for insurance, I have never checked but I would think the 3G would be cheaper on insurance due to the fact that it's an overall safer car.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I would only do the trade you mentioned with a Certified used vehicle that has an extended warranty. That is quite a few miles for a relatively new car. As many mentioned, IMO
Risks>Benefits

IMO though 56k for the clutch isn't bad at all and may have been properly driven assuming its the original clutch.

150 month * 12 = 1800 for 5 yrs = 9000

Clutch + tranny + used engine + exhaust manifold + time and labor - exhaust - wheels - other parts< 9000 ?

·
Registered
717 Posts
stg 2, 07 with 56K .... i feel like unless you would be really lucky to have that car cared for and not beaten to death, i wouldn't do it. If you are set on getting something used, I think you can definately find a better deal. Otherwise you may end up spending more money in the end. Just my .02. Good Luck!

·
Registered
345 Posts
hello, well as for the car and cheaper along with the insurance, well i know for a fact that the insurance on my 08 was cheaper then any of the older ones. and it was due to the added safty features the 08's have. i think it was like a 30$/month diffrence. but then again i was 21 y/o when i bought my 08. and as far as the clutch goes.... mine just went out on my 08 :( only 15k miles :( :( :(.... but thats a whole diffrent story but i will let ya know how much it cost to replace the clutch when i get the chance...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I went from a 2006 Toyota Matirx Xr 5 speed with ABS and Side Air Bags (as options) to a 2009 WRX. My insurance is $.50 (yes, 50 CENTS) a month more for the WRX. Certainly the extra safety features of the WRX help out. My advice to anyone looking for a car is to KNOW how much your insurance will be before you buy a car that you can't insure...

joneSi

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
I went from my 03 Eclipse Spyder, and I actually saved a bunch switching to the 08...

I figured a turbocharged rally car and I'd be screwed insurance wise, but I figured wrong haha...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Let me add a resounding 'hell no' also to your question. If you don't know the owner of this previously modded car with some gremlins, and are not financially well off to bite the bullet if it comes to a major failure....

Trade your '08 in on a Hyundai to get your payments more in line with what you can afford.

I would consider you biting on this other car as an exercise in extremely poor judgment.

:(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts