Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://wrxfanatics.com/blog/2008/10/swrt-gearbox-on-shortlist-for-powertrain-innovation-of-the-year/"]BLOG LINK[/url] | http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwrxfanatics.com%2Fblog%2F2008%2F10%2Fswrt-gearbox-on-shortlist-for-powertrain-innovation-of-the-year%2F&title=SWRT%20Gearbox%20on%20Shortlist%20for%20Powertrain%20Innovation%20of%20the%20Year"]DIGG IT[/url]

The Prodrive / Xtrac designed gearbox used on the Subaru World Rally Teams WRC2008 Impreza has been shortlisted for the Professional Motorsport World Expo Powertrain Innovation of the Year award.

http://wrxfanatics.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/wrc2008_gearbox"]
[/url]

The Prodrive and Xtrac designed gearbox used by the Subaru World Rally Team in the all-new Subaru Impreza WRC2008 has been shortlisted for the prestigious Powertrain Innovation of the Year Award at Professional MotorSport World Expo, an annual industry show for motorsport professionals.
The only H-pattern gear box left in the WRC, the WRC2008's 6-speed electro-hydraulic paddle-shift operated transmission was designed through an 18 month development partnership between Prodrive and Xtrac. This new transmission design sports 12 millisecond shifts, all internal oil lines, and 9kg lighter than the previous generation.

http://www.hspnnews.com/index.php/article/award_nomination_for_the_subaru_world_rally_team/"]Source: HSPN News[/url]

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I have to admit that having Paddle shifting in our cars would be bad ass! I got to drive a Ferrari F430 about 2 weeks ago with paddle shifting, and I had a total blast with it.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have to admit that having Paddle shifting in our cars would be bad ass! I got to drive a Ferrari F430 about 2 weeks ago with paddle shifting, and I had a total blast with it.
Yes but Ferrari paddle Shift > Subaru paddle shift

LOL, I love subarus, but as of right now, something tells me the F430 has a better paddle shift than what we would see in a WRX.

Still it would be fun to try in a WRX. Though I'd stick with a full on manual, just because I like it.

joneSi

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

LOL, I love subarus, but as of right now, something tells me the F430 has a better paddle shift than what we would see in a WRX.

Still it would be fun to try in a WRX. Though I'd stick with a full on manual, just because I like it.

joneSi
That's because Ferrari uses a paddle driven manual, like DSG...Subaru is using an auto, no direct linkup.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

joneSi
That's because Ferrari uses a paddle driven manual, like DSG...Subaru is using an auto, no direct linkup.
Yeah, I knew Ferrari uses a real 'manual' (NOT a slushbox) with pump driven shifting engaged according to paddle inputs...I had thought this was the same as the new Nissan GTR, a number of BMWs and a few VW's...even the EVO MR and Lancer Ralliart are using that style of gearbox, right? AFAIK that is called a SMG transmission (BMW name, Toyota=SMT, DMG = VW/Audi). Manual gearing and control without a clutch pedal and...most importantly, NOT an automatic 'tiptronic' or 'autostick' whatever people want to call it.

I am saying if subaru could get us an SMG setup, it wouldn't be as nice as a Ferrari. I have no way of knowing this for sure, but I'd guess it to be true as generally characterized by the following: Subaru < $40k < Ferrari Bah...then again some people will pay a lot for anything.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean by your comment? This gearbox, from what I understand (which may not be much) is a manual transmission with paddle shifting.
joneSi

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was stating that the paddle shift offered in the 08 WRX is linked to a 'slushbox' as you put it.

Subaru has made official statements saying they have no plans on running a DSG on the STI or otherwise in their production cars.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I was stating that the paddle shift offered in the 08 WRX is linked to a 'slushbox' as you put it.

Subaru has made official statements saying they have no plans on running a DSG on the STI or otherwise in their production cars.
OK, thats what I thought. I was saying IF they had a similar style gearbox (then Ferrari > Subaru). I know that they have said they do not plan on doing this...at least for now.

joneSi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts