Subaru WRX Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The issue is; on cold start mornings there is no abnormal noise upon warm-up when the clutch peddle is depressed, but a humming/groaning if you let it warm up with the transmission in neutral and the clutch not depressed. Once warm the noise is absent.

I read about this issue when I was researching this car and I cant remember if there was a fix for it, or if the original poster got turned away at the dealer. If someone had some luck remedying it; or if the dealer (or you) concluded that it was a non-issue it would be nice to know the story.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
this is normal...it happens to quite a few ppl.
i had my clutch replaced, and it still makes the noise. some think it may be rust somewhere which is why its usually happening on wet mornings

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
i wish someone would make a better throw bearing for our cars... i heard the bearing that comes w/ the act clutch kit gets noisy too. a better sealed bearing is in order. my factory throw bearing chirps all the time now but when i swap out the clutch i would like to replace it with a bearing that will not sound like shit as well. apparently, some people who have had their clutches replaced by subaru are already hearing noise from the bearing. noises like this drive me fucking nuts!!! end of rant.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
no, they are not open to the elements. the dust boot for the clutch throw bearing fork seems to be the only way weather can get inside but it seems like it is affected whenever it is humid outside. the biggest problem imo seems to be caused by clutch dust getting into the bearing. the factory throw bearing is grease sealed so it will wear out faster than a properly sealed bearing.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Just started getting this noise this week. Its really a weird sound... I don't think its a big deal since as soon as the car is warmed up it goes away.

Hey we did all buy Subarus, so we should have known sh!t like this would happen... ;D

-Steve

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I have the same issue but its only when its cold and wet. And it's like a creaking spring and when fully depressed a chirping sound. Doesn't seem to affect it mechanically though.
i just heard this same noise when i started mine today. its like a faint chirping sound only made the noise when the clutch was pushed down. its been raining for 2 days here. maybe had something to do with it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
This has been going on for about a year for me. It's getting a little more noticable now. Just about every morning, even if it's not raining, it will do this. Used to be only when it had rained. It does go away after the first few minutes of driving.

I've seen all sorts of comments from things like the firewall having a crack in it, to the throw-out bearing, or pressure plate being bad. I really do think it's a weak throw-out bearing. I just don't think it's worth fixing if it's just going to do it again in another year or two.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Have you all tried tapping the gas pedal so the RPMs drop? Does the noise stay?
Mine stops making the noise one rpms drop and is not due to temps as much as drivetrain noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am reading these twelve-year old descriptions with interest. I have a 2002 WRX, just a week now, with single-digit New England temperatures. Lots of groaning on start-up, nothing (except some grabby chatter) with clutch depressed and when engine is warm. Not in the mood for a $3k clutch replacement, so I will live with it if all of you have already.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am reading these twelve-year old descriptions with interest. I have a 2002 WRX, just a week now, with single-digit New England temperatures. Lots of groaning on start-up, nothing (except some grabby chatter) with clutch depressed and when engine is warm. Not in the mood for a $3k clutch replacement, so I will live with it if all of you have already.
Yo, my 2013 WRX hatch started chirping ~15k miles. Took it into dealership, they checked the TOB and clutch assembly. I think they tightened something, replaced part of the TOB or added some grease. I’d have to dig into my service work papers. Any rate, I took it back a couple weeks later because the chirping returned after a few days. Then they changed the entire TOB and I think the flywheel under warranty. Issue returned in a few months. The mechanic at the dealership had a 2013 sti and same issues. Ended up learning to live with it. The sound changes. Sometimes whirling or chirping, and as of late, like a squeaky belt skipping. But it usually only happens on start up, and if I patiently feather my clutch a few times, it goes away. I still have the original clutch at 103k miles today. The mechanic was rad and guinea pigged me with a humble rumble kit for only cost of parts! No longer have any firewall flex sounds. But that’s a different issue plaguing the 08-14s. Enjoy the car!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yo, my 2013 WRX hatch started chirping ~15k miles. Took it into dealership, they checked the TOB and clutch assembly. I think they tightened something, replaced part of the TOB or added some grease. I’d have to dig into my service work papers. Any rate, I took it back a couple weeks later because the chirping returned after a few days. Then they changed the entire TOB and I think the flywheel under warranty. Issue returned in a few months. The mechanic at the dealership had a 2013 sti and same issues. Ended up learning to live with it. The sound changes. Sometimes whirling or chirping, and as of late, like a squeaky belt skipping. But it usually only happens on start up, and if I patiently feather my clutch a few times, it goes away. I still have the original clutch at 103k miles today. The mechanic was rad and guinea pigged me with a humble rumble kit for only cost of parts! No longer have any firewall flex sounds. But that’s a different issue plaguing the 08-14s. Enjoy the car!
Thanks! Actually had the entire clutch assembly replaced two weeks ago, $2k. I was learning to live with the throw-out squeal, but it was the chatter/shudder/chudder that was the really annoying thing. My mechanic is an old, ex-dealership tech, and he said the squealing was par for the course; it is a bad throw-out bearing design. In fact, they had a recall on it years ago: Subaru Technical Service Bulletin 03-51-02R, “Cold Clutch Judder, Revised Bulletin.” To fix the chatter, my mechanic sanded down the flywheel, and all is now good. Until the winter?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts