Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently noticed that my tranny was making a weird grinding noise... almost like a rotating metal plate is being grazed gently by something metallic. I usually hear this sound when going down hill in third gear with my foot off the accelerator just cruising down. I know that WRX's have had these problems in the past. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103494 is a thread from nasioc talking about the problems in the older models. So did SOA fix this problem before releasing the 08's? or is it still common for our cars? The reason I ask is because i don't if i should take it under warranty to the dealer. ???

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
really? a worn throwout bearing already? i'm not 100% on this but my old car had a worn throwout bearing but only made the sound when the clutch was depressed. this occurs with the clutch up just cruising. others have reported this on other models, so im still kind of lost ??? thank you for the suggestion though

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Well, I've had this noise on both of my old subarus, although not my new one as much (but still there).

When letting your foot off the gas in-gear, it seems to grumble/grind although not scarily so...just kinda annoyingly

Personal experience:

I had an 2000 RS impreza which made the noise pretty loudly but was told the noise was "normal"...ok no big deal, when the clutch finally wore out after the car had 50k miles, I replaced it.

Right before the clutch was replaced, it was making the noise.

Right after the clutch was replaced, it wasn't, however, the noise slowly returned. Here are my guesses...

1) It is a worn throwout bearing or wearing out throwout bearing (which I know I DID have because the clutch squeeked slightly when pushing in or letting the clutch out and it WAS well lubricated)

2) It is a drivetrain alignment issue and there are tolerances in the stock clutch and pressure plate that cause this weird grumbling of the tranny...(however, I did get the same grumbling noise with a exedy street clutch and pressure plate and fidanza lightweight flywheel...so it must not be JUST a problem with the stock stuff.)

3) It could also be uneven clutch wear for some reason or part of the normal wear cycle of the clutch for all we know...this is possibly why it didn't make noise when brand new and slowly came back.

If I was really worried about it, I would personally illustrate the noise to the dealership and get them to drop the tranny and realign the pressure plate, clutch disc, and flywheel (IE, make sure everything is good down there.)

I obviously can't hear or gauge the loudness of the grinding through an audio clip or anything, but if it isn't that loud, I wouldn't worry about it. It has never caused me any problems on my past subarus.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well, I've had this noise on both of my old subarus, although not my new one as much (but still there).

When letting your foot off the gas in-gear, it seems to grumble/grind although not scarily so...just kinda annoyingly

Personal experience:

I had an 2000 RS impreza which made the noise pretty loudly but was told the noise was "normal"...ok no big deal, when the clutch finally wore out after the car had 50k miles, I replaced it.

Right before the clutch was replaced, it was making the noise.

Right after the clutch was replaced, it wasn't, however, the noise slowly returned. Here are my guesses...

1) It is a worn throwout bearing or wearing out throwout bearing (which I know I DID have because the clutch squeeked slightly when pushing in or letting the clutch out and it WAS well lubricated)

2) It is a drivetrain alignment issue and there are tolerances in the stock clutch and pressure plate that cause this weird grumbling of the tranny...(however, I did get the same grumbling noise with a exedy street clutch and pressure plate and fidanza lightweight flywheel...so it must not be JUST a problem with the stock stuff.)

3) It could also be uneven clutch wear for some reason or part of the normal wear cycle of the clutch for all we know...this is possibly why it didn't make noise when brand new and slowly came back.

If I was really worried about it, I would personally illustrate the noise to the dealership and get them to drop the tranny and realign the pressure plate, clutch disc, and flywheel (IE, make sure everything is good down there.)

I obviously can't hear or gauge the loudness of the grinding through an audio clip or anything, but if it isn't that loud, I wouldn't worry about it. It has never caused me any problems on my past subarus.
I have the same noise on my 09 wrx in 1st and 2nd gear when i decel and or stay in gear but release the gas pedal. I've heard that it could be a chipped gear tooth or the center diff ( or pressure plate? ). Is this really normal for subies? Under warranty, right?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have it too. Our trannys are exceptionally noisy so I just asume it is normal gear noise. 3rd does it 2nd alittle more and 1st is the worst (rhyming not intended). The lower the gear thw more straight cut the gears are and straight cut is noisy but strong. That's why you hear so much whining from rally cars. I'm not going to worry about it I think it is normal.

·
Registered
396 Posts
eyebmx said:
I have it too. Our trannys are exceptionally noisy so I just asume it is normal gear noise. 3rd does it 2nd alittle more and 1st is the worst (rhyming not intended). The lower the gear thw more straight cut the gears are and straight cut is noisy but strong. That's why you hear so much whining from rally cars. I'm not going to worry about it I think it is normal.
It is common and I was told that after I had other tranny work done. I learned to deal with it. My Cobb Ss made it louder too.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
What about vibration on the pedal from clutching? Like when I down shift and go normally.. I feel a little vibration... am I just being paranoid? o_O I haven't really noticed it til now..

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
If you feel something in the clutch then it could be a throwout bearing or a slightly warped clutch.
hrm.. shit that's lame... so how much does it cost? I have stage 2 and all that so idk if they will even give me a warranty check..

·
Registered
418 Posts
yup i have the noise to. 09 WRX Sedan stg 2.

Was wondering if i had to change my tranny fluid or something but sounds normal. Ill tell you what though, if i go balls out 0-60 or something my clutch vibrates a ton when pressing it in. Hard to explain but i dont think its all that concerning.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
i've this noise on my my 05 wrx and my current 08. it sounds like reverse gear right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
OP, I know this is old, but I searched and this is what I found.

Does your noise sound like this (the grinding, not the whining)?

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's normal every single subaru i've owned has had that noise, I think STI 6-speeds are the only ones that don't do it

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just throwing this out there. I replaced the bearings in the tail housing of my tranny last weekend...I too had very much decel noise...this is now gone. The bearings I pulled out have been updated with direct replacements...fewer rollers for more. Not sure if this is related to what y'all are experiencing but it worked for me.:azn:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same thing happening to me in my 09 wrx that bicycle wreck's video shows.
Does anyone know if a gear fluid change might help? Or just leave as is?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey, just read through this and I have the same problem. I jsut did the Uncle Scotty's mix and no change (although everything feels much smoother). I'm gonna guess and say it's normal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts