Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

i am down in OZ. recently got my 08 WRX and loving it. Quick one, with the dvd player, it stops showing the video after the car starts moving. Does anyone know or have bypassed this function to have the dvd conitnually running? i know its illegal and whatever, but yeah, any help would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Check this post out:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/1723696-post23.html

*NOTE: Be sure you are doing this for the WHITE connector on the DRIVER side. There are 2 white connectors, and 2 gray wires back there so pay attention to what you are doing before cutting anything.

·
Registered
109 Posts
yup, confirmed. Solid gray wire about 2 over from the edge (I think) on the driver side white harness (there are 2 white connectors).

Make sure you cut it in a spot you can reattach if necessary (and stealthy like). Note: this will void the NAV warranty. And be sure to ground the connector side of the cut wire (and tape off the harness side).

EDIT: If you feel uncomfortable doing this mod behind the NAV (and can live with a parking brake light on the dash), you have two more easily reversible options: 1) Just pull up on the parking brake 1 click when you want to use the dest input or watch a movie, or 2) Use a wire tap to ground the wire coming from the parking brake in the center console.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so your saying to take out the centre console. pick a metail point on the handbrake, and run a wire to the chasis? thats all i have to do???

how the hell do i take the centre console around the hand brake out?

·
Registered
109 Posts
pick a metail point on the handbrake, and run a wire to the chasis? thats all i have to do???
Um no. You have to find the wire lead that tells the ECU the handbrake is on. If you do it this way though, your parking brake indicator light on the instrument panel will stay on all the time.

(Not to be rude at all, but based on your question, it seems you may not be too familiar with automotive wiring....it's cool, some have more experience with wiring than others, but....) If I were you, I would either just pull the handbrake up 1-click only, or take it to a stereo shop or someplace familiar with automotive wiring and explain to them what you want to do. I'd hate to be responsible for giving advice if you're not comfortable with doing the mod....you could potentially short out a very expensive NAV unit, for which the dealer will see the modified wiring and say they can't help you with warranty. Just to be on the safe side........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i decided to try your advise on the 1 click...and after reading other forums, it sounded like it would work.

So i lifted the handbrake up about 1 cm from its resting position, the the dvd player started working. literally 1 cm...not 1 click. just enough for the light to come on and bang, it started playing the image. so i am going to build a little bracket and sit it under the e brake.

You were alot of help, and this has made my day. good effort!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I felt i should bump this up. I tried it, worked great. Grounded to one of the screws that attach the radio.

A trick to get the plastic surround out.... Eject the cd, then pull out on the top of the trim piece. I put a few scrapes on mine, but got it, then realized this method. Worked great. I put the radio back in and it was a smidge off-center, so i pulled it back out this way, slid it straight, and reinstalled.

Extremely handy.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I wouldn't drive around with your handbrake engaged, even just a little. It is likely that it is just dragging assuming your brake is properly adjusted, however lightly, which is obviously bad.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
I wouldn't drive around with your handbrake engaged, even just a little. It is likely that it is just dragging assuming your brake is properly adjusted, however lightly, which is obviously bad.
+1 I'd find someone in the area that knows what they're doing with the wiring and just do the simple splice...

Haha though aside from the brake being on I'd hate having that bloody light on all the time...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts