Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched around but with no real luck.
Other than, Tranny, body, wheels, interior, etc...
What are the differences under the hood between the WRX and STI? All I can find is the turbo, intercooler, cool-daddy duel exhaust and tuning. I can't find anything else such as heads, valves, cams or anything? I'm just wondering that if you were going to mod the car anyway and replace the FI, TBE, IC and tuning, why start out 10k behind?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
dont forget the whole adjustable differential and brake, all the bodywork cost $$$

·
Registered
421 Posts
If its only 10 K difference over there, and you have the intentions to make a wrx the speed of a STI, i suggest starting off with a STI... but if you were in a country where the sti is 20-30k more than the wrx, than starting off with the wrx would be good.

STI engine block, STI drivetrain, STI Clutch, STI body kit, STI TMIC, STI springs.........................

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not looking to make the WRX the "same" speed as an STI. My question was, "If you were going to mod the car (WRX or STI whichever you had) and change the turbo, intercooler, exhaust and programming anyway". Why start with the STi? What makes it so different engine wise? Can I get the same power out of a modded WRX that I can out of a modded STi if I use the exact same upgraded parts (same turbo, IC, etc..)?

Honestly, I will never use all the bells and whistles that the STi has like the adjustable diff. Other than the looks between the two, it does not warrant a 35k price tag to me. Especially when I got the WRX for 23k OTD.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm not looking to make the WRX the "same" speed as an STI. My question was, "If you were going to mod the car (WRX or STI whichever you had) and change the turbo, intercooler, exhaust and programming anyway". Why start with the STi? What makes it so different engine wise? Can I get the same power out of a modded WRX that I can out of a modded STi if I use the exact same upgraded parts (same turbo, IC, etc..)?

Honestly, I will never use all the bells and whistles that the STi has like the adjustable diff. Other than the looks between the two, it does not warrant a 35k price tag to me. Especially when I got the WRX for 23k OTD.
STI engine block can take much more punishing (more power) before it gives way... same for several parts of STI...

·
Registered
519 Posts
The intake looks different too. And I don't think the STi comes with the TGV either.

Seth

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
STI engine block can take much more punishing (more power) before it gives way... same for several parts of STI...
[/quote]

Great, Why? What's different about it?

·
Registered
182 Posts
The STI also comes with bigger swaybars and stiffer springs than the '08 WRX (although many complain that it's still softer than it should be).

The 106-foot 60-0 stopping distance is darned impressive.

By my reckoning, spending $10K would get you more power than the stock STI and better handling, but you start with (slightly) weaker engine internals and a (slightly) weaker gearbox. If you're not into winding it up and launching, and if you shift smoothly, that might not be an issue for you. In any case, once you get to that point, a modded WRX will still be cheaper to insure than a stock STI, generally speaking.

The folks in the know on NASIOC see no issues with bumping a WRX up to 300whp or so, provided that you're kind to the transmission.

·
Registered
182 Posts
By comparison to the STI's 106-foot stopping distance, the stock WRX tested at 121 feet. It's easily a grand to make a WRX stop like an STI (calipers, rotors, pads, and coated SS brake lines).

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I should be at the same levels as an STI within the next week or to. Accel, braking and handling and my insurance isn't sky high and I am well under 10k, more like 7k. So, the extra three plus insurance savings, plus interest on more financed saves me in the long run. Hehehe

·
Registered
519 Posts
I am with you coop, the gadgets are cool in the STi but really unless you are a hard core racer when are you going to use the toys to thier full potential... probably never. The only thing about the STi is the body work. I dont think you could do that for less than $10K with the other go fast stuff, but oh well.

Seth

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
the whole diffential thing on the STI is cool, i will love to put it almost RWD all the time :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
I should be at the same levels as an STI within the next week or to. Accel, braking and handling and my insurance isn't sky high and I am well under 10k, more like 7k. So, the extra three plus insurance savings, plus interest on more financed saves me in the long run. Hehehe
I agree, it should be possible to reach STi levels of performance for under 10k difference. The only catc is you don't get some of the interior improvements, differential adj, and resale value of an STi. But the lower insurance premiums can help you to see past those ommisions. :)

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Well, I plan on driving this car into the ground, raise it up and then drive it back into the ground again. I am really tired of always having a car payment. Plus, there are a couple other cars I would like to have as side cars; Caterham Super 7 and Lotus Elise. So, this WRX should do fine until it can't run no more. But, I do want to squeeze a little more out of it then stock to match it up to an STI.... Although I have already beaten one on the road... ;D

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I agree, it should be possible to reach STi levels of performance for under 10k difference. The only catc is you don't get some of the interior improvements, differential adj, and resale value of an STi. But the lower insurance premiums can help you to see past those ommisions. :)
if you declare your mods to the insurance (what you should do if you want them to pay in case of accident.. the whole reason why we pay insurance) you will end up paying more than STI

·
Registered
382 Posts
if you declare your mods to the insurance (what you should do if you want them to pay in case of accident.. the whole reason why we pay insurance) you will end up paying more than STI
I understand your point, but a couple of counter points:
1. An increase in the car's value will increase your insurance premium, I agree. However, your premium will not go up as a result of the performance increase in most cases as insurance companies cannot not fairly evaluate them.

2. STI body parts are far more rare and have a significant impact of the premium of an STi, as a result you may be surprised to realize that not all of the premium over a wrx is for the power increase.

3. Statistically speaking, STi's are in more accidents for each one on the road (At least here in the states), again increasing the overall premium relative to the STi, without direct regard to the power.

I believe you raise a fair point, but I contend that even with modifications declared to the insurance agency, your premiums will still come in quite a bit less then an STi. I'm using a Mustang GT (relative to a Cobra) as a personal experience, but I would think it would be a comparable example.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts