Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm calling my scoobie dealership to schedule an oil change and i asked them how much would it cost to install some sti springs(i bought the sti performance springs), and i'm thinking its like 80 bucks. They told me it'll cost 900+ dollars to install, i almost choked- i asked her again. She said that it was labor intensive and it takes two and 1/2 hour. Not that i'd let them do it, i rather do things myself, but i'm pissed off that anyone would make anyone pay that much to change some goddamn springs. I became sarcastic and ask her if she'd hire me to do this for their customer, since on a good day and with a buddy, i can probably get it done in an hour and fourty five. Labor intensive my ass- just boring if anything.

Am i taking crazy pills or does 900 sounds strange. I thought that maybe i misheard and the price reflects the springs also(its 158) and even if they are trying to charge you the original 400(even though its still on sale), thats 500 plus dollars for two and a half hour of work.

So uh, fuck Clay Subaru of Norwood, Ma. Just the service people though.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Wow thats $360 and hour. I think that maybe too much.
The Funny thing is that there have been a few post about there dealers quotes and they all seem to be different. Well I think some other guy said 900 as well but I think I also heard anywhere from 400-900.

If you don't want to do it yourself I'm sure a local non-dealer shop woulf be willing to do them for you for much less. At $50/hour that should only be like 150.
Now mind you I'm pulling 50 and hour out of my ass but it should be more then 75 I would guess.

But what do I know I write SW for telcom gear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow thats 0 and hour. I think that maybe too much.
The Funny thing is that there have been a few post about there dealers quotes and they all seem to be different. Well I think some other guy said 900 as well but I think I also heard anywhere from 400-900.

If you don't want to do it yourself I'm sure a local non-dealer shop woulf be willing to do them for you for much less. At /hour that should only be like 150.
Now mind you I'm pulling 50 and hour out of my ass but it should be more then 75 I would guess.

But what do I know I write SW for telcom gear.
so this is realistic to dealers, alright i've taken the red pill, i'm now in crazy town. installing springs is easy, just repetitive. If anyone thinks they can charge someone 900 to install 158 dollars springs, i'm hoping they at least get capuccino, some buttons, a key chain, and their d**k sucked(those technicians have got to be hot hot import models). seriously....

·
Registered
88 Posts
so this is realistic to dealers, alright i've taken the red pill, i'm now in crazy town. installing springs is easy, just repetitive. If anyone thinks they can charge someone 900 to install 158 dollars springs, i'm hoping they at least get capuccino, some buttons, a key chain, and their d**k sucked(those technicians have got to be hot hot import models). seriously....
Hillarious!!! :D

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
My dealer wanted 800 including the alighment. If the alignment is 80 bucks, that leaves 720 bucks. They claim it takes 6 hours (nonsense) which comes out to 120 bucks/hour. No thanks I did it myself.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Heres all the different quotes that I have been given in the past 2 days for the install of my new springs:

Suby Dealer #1 - $1200 - Yea, seriously...
Suby Dealer #2 - $685
Good Quality muffler/shock shop - $460
Suby Dealer #3 - $285

Needless to say I will be going to the Suby Dealer that quoted $285. Makes you wonder how there can be THAT much difference in price.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Heres all the different quotes that I have been given in the past 2 days for the install of my new springs:

Suby Dealer #1 - 00 - Yea, seriously...
Suby Dealer #2 - 5
Good Quality muffler/shock shop - 0
Suby Dealer #3 - 5

Needless to say I will be going to the Suby Dealer that quoted 5. Makes you wonder how there can be THAT much difference in price.
$285 is still high. Dude do it yourself and put that money towards sways or something. Grab a buddy and a 6pack, You can totally do this!! just take your time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Suby Dealer #2 - 5
Suby Dealer #3 - 5

Needless to say I will be going to the Suby Dealer that quoted 5. Makes you wonder how there can be THAT much difference in price.
i'd only pay $80 to get it installed

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Suby Dealer #2 - 5
Suby Dealer #3 - 5

At least now you know which dealer is reputable and which is a bunch of criminals. $1200 has to be some kind of record.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
My dealer wanted 400$
My "Big Name" muffler shop wanted 350$ (including allingment)
A local professional speed shop installed mine for 125$
Still need to get the car allign and i know a place i can get it done for 55$

·
Registered
23 Posts
Six hours is total BS, for sure. Also, I know a tech who used to work at Subaru of Gwinnett who could put a set of springs on in 45 mins. With air tools it shouldn't take any TRAINED TECHNICIAN more than an hour and a half. And 360 an hour?! WTF?!

Find a friend with air tools, buy him some beer, and get him to help you. It'll be fun, and in the end you'll only be out 70-80 bucks for a proper alignment.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
my mechanic charged 75dollars.that included springs,sways and endlinks.goto a small repair shop.it will be cheaper than the dealer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts