Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I've been lurking on these boards for the past 3 months and have finally joined. My name is dan and i own a spark silver 08 WRX. Love the car and have really learned alot from the stuff posted on these boards. Thanks for the great site and the great info.

·
Registered
717 Posts
welcome to the forum!

i'm sure someone is going to ask, so lets get it out of the way: are you a cop?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i'm a cop in wisconsin. if i can answer any questions i'de be more than happy to do so, but keep in mind the answer you want may not be the answer you receive.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Welcome. Ok, here is my question. Being from Wisconsin... do you like cheese? :D

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha well yes i like cheese as much as any person but let me be more specific. if anyone has any questions regarding LAWS i'de be happy to answer them.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am glad you have a sense of humor. You will fit in well.
As far as speeding tickets go, have you ever watched the show called Speeders on G4 I think? The best way is to not have any prior and be as respectful and courteous and truthful as possible. But, if you are caught going 20+ over... good luck.
But, I have never had a ticket yet in my 38 years, but that is what the WRX is for. My first one. ;)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i like that show and your right the best thing to do is just be honest and admit you did something wrong. Don't argue or be a jerk. Ya gotta remember we're just like you in our job. We don't like dealing with @$$ holess but we have to alot. I'm way more inclined to let someone off with a warning if they are polite and NICE than a jag. But sometimes there are some jag cops and no matter what you do your gonna get a ticket. And yes if your caught going 20 over your probably gong to get a ticket.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Welcome! Do you plan on modding your car? Where about in WI are you? I've been to madison a couple of times. Nice town.

I have a quick question. As a cop, what is your general reaction to aftermarket exhausts, or what have you noticed your coworkers reactions to be? I assume you guys watch those people a little bit more in terms of moving violations, but wanted to hear it from a fellow wrx'er with a little better insight into the issue. I'd like to get an exhaust, but I'm concerned that with an exhaust and aftermarket wheels that I would turn myself into a target for those supercops (you know the ones).

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i know what your talking about. In wisconsin our law is anything louder than stock is illegal. Its really a judgement call. I do alot of traffic enforcement as an officer but i'm pretty resonable when it comes to exhausts. As long as your not gunning the engine or driving like a moron your probably not gonna get pulled over. Soome guys REALLY hate them and will cite people for them but MOST cops feel they have better things to do than worry about loud exhausts. To your concern about becoming a target, you will get looked at with a louder exhaust just make sure your not doing anything else wrong. Oh and yes i plan to modify my WRX heavily many many modifications including a louder exhaust.

And I live in a suburb to the south of milwuakee.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
first of all, WELCOME!

my friend's father is a retired nypd officer and i love his bugeye because he has those police strobes in the front and rear lights. will you be doing that, and pulling people over with your rex? than speed away, because i would if i was a cop, but thats probably why i would never be allowed to one :(

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Hey WRXCop Welcome... Man you are going to get A LOT of questions... Good Luck ;) ;D

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Welcome!

and to everyone who has questions for WRXCop, remember that many laws will vary from state to state. Make sure to double check with your own state statutes before you go getting yourself into trouble. :)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hi nice to have a cop around for tricky questions sad that the law ain't the same everywhere not much help for us Canadians...BUT it's always good to read from a cop on subject like exhaust and such

my question: Is it legal in Winconsin to drive wearing a cat as a hat?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First off lolz. I wish i had red and blues in my wrx and pulled people over in it. But alas i'm regulated to a ford crown vic at work. Yes to all laws do vary from state to state but they are pretty much universal if you use common sense. But thats why I have and carry the AAA Handbook with me in my squad. It has in it those quirky laws that other states have such as wearing a cat as a hate while driving.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can not find anywhere that it is illegal to wear a cat as a hat while driving, so go for it. But keep in mind if the cat is disturbing you and your distracted by it it could be considered inattentive driving. I cited a guy for inattentive driving for playing with his dog while driving and causing a 4 car accident.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts