Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'd just like to start a thread regarding your preferred seat/steering position. i am just a daily driver but i like to have a nice <i>feel</i> for the car. for me, my seat height is pumped down as far as possible. i feel like i have a better feel for the car sitting lower. the higher up i am i feel as if i'm not as *strapped* in. the backrest is set a couple notches back of vertical. my head is maybe half an inch from touching the headrest. i have the seat close enough to the dash that when i'm pushing in the clutch my leg is still slightly bent. when i use the brakes my right knee slightly touches the keyless entry remote hanging from the key ring (ignition key). the steering wheel is set as close to me as possible. my wrist is maybe millimeters away from fully resting on top of the steering wheel. <b>*</b>i am able to turn the wheel just shy of 135 degrees while still maintaining a 9 and 3 hand position with my shoulders barely leaving the backrest. also, any autox/rally experienced racers out there that would like to share their experiences with their seat position?

<b>*</b>edit: i am able to turn the wheel <b>90 degrees</b> while still maintaining a 9 and 3 hand position without my shoulders leaving the backrest.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Seat at lowest position Leg extension can touch the floor with clutch. seat back enough so arms are close to 90 degrees when holding 9 3 steering wheel. Steering wheel at lowest position without touching knee.

I click the seat back a notch when relaxing drive though. :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
My seat is pretty low. Almost as low as possible with like one pump up. With clutch in my leg is still slightly bent. And as far as my steering wheel position, the center of the steering wheel is aimed at my chest and when i extend my arms the wheel is just past my wrists by like an inch or 2 (closer to my body)<---that comes from my vehicle classes in the academy but they say your wrist should be on the wheel: i like it a bit closer. Mess around and find out what you like, it took me like a month and a half to find the just right position. Does anyone else dread taking your car in for service or the car wash in case some service "TECH" or washer moves your set and makes it all kiddywompus?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I sit pretty low, my leg is almost completely extended when the clutch is fully pressed. For racing, I sit so that when I extend my arm to the top of the wheel, my wrist goes past it by an inch or two. For everyday, I sit a bit further back for comfort.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hmmm.. I don't like to sit quite that low as I find that my visibility isn't that great and that I can't see around me as well. Also I like to sit a little higher so that I have a little more leverage with the clutch. Too high though and I feel like I'm sitting on top of the car, not in it. Even though I am 6'2" I have the seat track just one notch forward from all the way back and maybe 2 pumps up for seat height. I like my backrest maybe 2 clicks back from 90 degrees vertical. I am also fussy about the tilt and telescope of my wheel: not too high, not too low and not too close or too far. ;) I also like my wrist to be a few inches past the rim of the wheel when my arm is extemded. I hate it when my seat gets moved or I accidentally change something...takes me FOREVER to get it the way that I like it.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I sit as low as I can, and only as close as I need to be to fully depress the clutch without having to lock my knee. I have the steering wheel as low and as close to me as possible without it being so low that it hits my legs when working the pedals. Seatback position varies by the day.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Haha seat all the way back, steering wheel all the way up, seat all the way down...

But I'm stretch armstrong....

Tilted a bit back...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
No gangster lean here...I'm 5'8" so I sit pretty close. Close enough to work the clutch to the floor without locking my knee (like Chanke4252). I also don't sit very low. I sit close, but not nearly as much as my wife...now SHE sits CLOSE.

joneSi

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Haha being 6'3 has it's perks and it's downfalls...

My first car would have been a 3000GT, but I couldn't fit in the bloody thing without my head resting on the roof...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
One of the reasons I sit low is because that stupid cover below the steering column (the plastic cover that the dimmer switch is attached to) hits my legs sometimes when I raise the seat too high. Does anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
298 Posts
One of the reasons I sit low is because that stupid cover below the steering column (the plastic cover that the dimmer switch is attached to) hits my legs sometimes when I raise the seat too high. Does anyone else have this happen?
heh, yeah, i have that problem. sometimes my knees are a bit sore after an autox run because my knees are hitting that thing when cornering ;)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Thats why I had to raise the wheel about an inch until I can swing my leg left to right without hitting. I usually use my legs to support my body against the door or the center console when cornering. (need buckets) I would say that having the wheel that low is very dangerous. Side impact collision at high speeds on the track will shatter your knee. Autox is ok since no one is passing you but on the circuit if someone miss judges a corner entry and goes in too hot hitting you from the inside, this could meen tragedy for your knee on an otherwise moderate accident.
Even on the side streets if someone were to t-bone you this is dangerous.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I'm talking about the part below the steering column cover, the part that the interior light/cluster dimmer dial is on.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Its one of my pet peeves since the GD STi seats had better support and were lower than the current model. :mad: I didn't hit my knee on the lower plastic cover (the one where the tilt adjust is covered by) even at the lowest position.

·
Registered
467 Posts
anyone have trouble looking over the hood and scoop?

went to the subaru dealership today and sat in a wrx and the hood seemed very long or maybe because you sit pretty low in the car. i currently drive a 06 corolla and i like being able to sit high in the small car to see over the hood.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
You can raise the seat. I'm not bothered by it, I actually like the burried feeling. Compared to my Accord 6mt coupe, where you are essentially buried in the car and can't even see the hood, the wrx seating position leaves me feeling slightly more exposed. I actually like the cockpit type feel of the new wrx. I see everything I need to see, and get that cozy slightly-buried feeling I like at the same time.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

went to the subaru dealership today and sat in a wrx and the hood seemed very long or maybe because you sit pretty low in the car. i currently drive a 06 corolla and i like being able to sit high in the small car to see over the hood.
i know what you mean lol, I drove my buddy's 04 STI with a JDM scoop and that thing was always in the way, so obnoxious...But The good thing about MY08's scoop is that it looks hella aggressive due to it being so wide, but it doesn't really get in the way. Not to offend you in any way but you're probably just a little shell shocked coming from a corolla to a wrx lol, everything's going to seem interesting :)

Are you getting a 08/09 any time soon?

·
Registered
467 Posts

i know what you mean lol, I drove my buddy's 04 STI with a JDM scoop and that thing was always in the way, so obnoxious...But The good thing about MY08's scoop is that it looks hella aggressive due to it being so wide, but it doesn't really get in the way. Not to offend you in any way but you're probably just a little shell shocked coming from a corolla to a wrx lol, everything's going to seem interesting :)

Are you getting a 08/09 any time soon?
as of now maybe spring time when my brother gets the corolla and i will become part of the wrx family :) that is my perfect world situation, but who knows. i am still trying to get my feet wet with the manual driving, only driven a manual a few times. my friend also has an 04 STI and i love the amount of power it has with out even pushing the car hard.

i am 5'7 so i am kinda short that is another reason why it may seem harder to view over the hood, its not the scoop in the way as much as the hood legnth

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Man, a wrx is not the car I'd want to learn manual on. Hondas are great to learn on as they usually have really nice durable clutches with really good feel. The clutch on any subaru's I've driven haven't felt nearly as connected, and they aren't nearly as durable.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts